Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Kids working on farms.

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 17 Replies

have you guys heard about this legislation Obama's working on to make it so kids under 18 can't work on farms?
I'll go look for the link I saw the other day but I'm curious what you all think about that.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Terri441
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:23 PM

interestingly today the first thing that came up in a google search was an article about them withdrawing the bill.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/26/amid-nationwide-outcry-labor-dept-withdraws-farm-child-labor-rule/

andrea96
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I've heard a little about that. It seems really silly, and I wonder how they would plan on enforcing it in the event they were able to pass the bill.

Terri441
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Quoting andrea96:

I've heard a little about that. It seems really silly, and I wonder how they would plan on enforcing it in the event they were able to pass the bill.

yes I was wondering that too. Or if it was just another step toward going to strictly government owned farms and squeezing out smaller family farms? or how long it would be until it was unlawful by child labor rules to get my kids to vacuum or pick up dog poop in the backyard.

Terri441
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Apparently it was going to make 4h and FFA stuff completely impossible. Good if they withdrew it!

andrea96
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Terri441:

Quoting andrea96:

yes I was wondering that too. Or if it was just another step toward going to strictly government owned farms and squeezing out smaller family farms? or how long it would be until it was unlawful by child labor rules to get my kids to vacuum or pick up dog poop in the backyard.

I can kind of see their safety point on operating machinery before age 16. But, even then, I can't imagine most law enforcement in rural areas would enforce that. Where I grew up, they wouldn't even enforce the legal driving age of 16.

Although, if it would have been illegal for me to hoe peanuts when I was a kid/teen, I would have been all for that. LOL!

I was wondering about the "raw materials" mentioned. I handled a lot of bags of feed and peanut seed when I was a kid, and I don't really see the point of outlawing that.

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I do not see a  point in outlawing it, if anything it is saftey thing for kids, yet who knows these kids more than their parents they should know first when their kid is trustworthy or mature enough. 

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe the "let-go" USDA workers from the chicken plants can make random farm visits, HAHA, just kidding.

Yea, just what we need more government regulations. 'cause once again federal agencies are efficient and they sure as hell care more about children and their safety than parents. . . . . Yea, just kidding again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matheson7
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM

No haven't heard of it, till now.

queenbree545
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Quoting Terri441:

interestingly today the first thing that came up in a google search was an article about them withdrawing the bill.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/26/amid-nationwide-outcry-labor-dept-withdraws-farm-child-labor-rule/

I'm glad to see this.

BannerElkHogans
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I grew up on a 500 acre farm an we woke up at 4 every back braking day to do the work an its like 10 to 12 hour days .....I graduated 1 yr later then I should have because my dad had a Heart attack my Junior Yr an guess what I was the oldest kid at home who knew how to work the farm...........an I f ing did for 1 yr when I was 17 to 18 ,but I think that it was good for me an gave me prospective of what the Big,Nasty World is really like !!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)