Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Kids working on farms.

Posted by   + Show Post

have you guys heard about this legislation Obama's working on to make it so kids under 18 can't work on farms?
I'll go look for the link I saw the other day but I'm curious what you all think about that.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Replies (11-17):
Satan71
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I grew up on a small farm. We raised cattle and had wine grapes. By the time I was 12 I knew how to do just about everything on the farm and could use all of the equiptment. My brothers and I worked from about 4am till school then came home and worked till dark most days. But my Mom worked all day and my Dad worked a job and worked the farm. I guess I never felt like I was being used. My parents always payed us something for our efforts out of harvest every year. Also, as an adult I am thankful for all the knowledge I gained. And with all that said, there were some families in our community that abused the labor usage of their kids. I am still friends with some of the kids. They say now that it sucked at the time but, now they are all glad they learned how to work for real. I think this goes right along the lines as the pig farm regulating. I am glad to see that its been stopped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I see it as more gov imposition and impossible to police, but had heard about the withdrawal.  Eventually it probably would lead to what you said, cuz ya know...that dog poop might make them sick!  Oh wait...that's not true! 

Quoting Terri441:

Quoting andrea96:

I've heard a little about that. It seems really silly, and I wonder how they would plan on enforcing it in the event they were able to pass the bill.

yes I was wondering that too. Or if it was just another step toward going to strictly government owned farms and squeezing out smaller family farms? or how long it would be until it was unlawful by child labor rules to get my kids to vacuum or pick up dog poop in the backyard.

Kelly913
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Agreed on the potential issues with operating big machinery, but as you and others have said, those growing up with it knew how and most likely were taught how to do so safely.  I can almost see some well meaning busy body getting people riled up about this in order to "protect" kids they know little about, forgetting that it's the parents' responsibility to take care of that, not some gov bureaucracy. 

Quoting andrea96:

Quoting Terri441:

Quoting andrea96:

I've heard a little about that. It seems really silly, and I wonder how they would plan on enforcing it in the event they were able to pass the bill.

yes I was wondering that too. Or if it was just another step toward going to strictly government owned farms and squeezing out smaller family farms? or how long it would be until it was unlawful by child labor rules to get my kids to vacuum or pick up dog poop in the backyard.

I can kind of see their safety point on operating machinery before age 16. But, even then, I can't imagine most law enforcement in rural areas would enforce that. Where I grew up, they wouldn't even enforce the legal driving age of 16.

Although, if it would have been illegal for me to hoe peanuts when I was a kid/teen, I would have been all for that. LOL!

I was wondering about the "raw materials" mentioned. I handled a lot of bags of feed and peanut seed when I was a kid, and I don't really see the point of outlawing that.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Terri441
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM
The SAFE use of machinery and respect for what was going on was drilled into our persons on our farm from the time we were tiny little toddlers. By the time I was 10 I WAS operating machinery with supervision and by the time I was 12 I was solo. And more than competant to do so. Had I had to wait until I was 16 to do it I would have had no interest in it, and far less work ethic than I do which imo was a side benefit of the environment I was raised in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I say bullsh*t. If it wasn't for farms my parents, my brother and I would have starved because it was the only job my 16 yr odl father(at the time)  could get to support his family. I grew up on farms...it builds character.

andrea96
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Quoting Terri441:

The SAFE use of machinery and respect for what was going on was drilled into our persons on our farm from the time we were tiny little toddlers. By the time I was 10 I WAS operating machinery with supervision and by the time I was 12 I was solo. And more than competant to do so. Had I had to wait until I was 16 to do it I would have had no interest in it, and far less work ethic than I do which imo was a side benefit of the environment I was raised in.

LOL! The no interest thing is true. Driving a tractor was a treat when I was younger. By the time I was 16, it was boring.

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I've seen it and think it's absolutely ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)