Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Homemade Tortillas

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

Homemade Tortillas Recipe"I usually have to double this recipe because we go through them quickly." Tender, chewy and simple, you'll never use store-bought tortillas again. 

• Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
  • Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

• In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding a little flour or water if needed to achieve a smooth dough. Let rest for 10 minutes.
  • Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.
  • In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Keep warm. Yield: 8 tortillas.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Well wrapped tortillas keep in the freezer for up to a month . Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat before using. 

andrea96
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Thanks!

August07Mom
by Tiesha on May. 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I've made tortillas before; they are so good!

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Yes they are!! good

darrensmom11
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM
I use to buy the mix where you just add water. . . And my tortillas always came out looking like animals instead of circles. Its been a while. . . But I think i'm gonna Have to give your recipe a shot! Thanks! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I've made my own....here's a tip:  after removing them from a skillet, place them in a gallon-sized plastic bag and leave it unsealed until you're done.  The steam they generate helps keep them warm and soft.

kabrooks
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Gonna have to try this one.

La-Belle-Vie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:54 AM
Tis made me chuckle :)

Quoting darrensmom11:

I use to buy the mix where you just add water. . . And my tortillas always came out looking like animals instead of circles. Its been a while. . . But I think i'm gonna Have to give your recipe a shot! Thanks! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La-Belle-Vie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:54 AM
Perfect! Great tip

Quoting michiganmom116:

I've made my own....here's a tip:  after removing them from a skillet, place them in a gallon-sized plastic bag and leave it unsealed until you're done.  The steam they generate helps keep them warm and soft.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)