Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Granola to go bars

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

Granola-To-Go Bars Recipe

• Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
  • Yield: 36 Servings

Ingredients

• 3-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup chopped almonds
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 2/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried apples
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

• Combine oats and almonds in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
  • In a large bowl, combine the egg, butter, honey and vanilla. Stir in the sunflower kernels, coconut, apples, cranberries, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in oat mixture.
  • Firmly press into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 13-18 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
andrea96
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Thanks!

August07Mom
by Tiesha on May. 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Thanks!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Mmmm....and I think I can adapt these to be gluten-free!  Thanks!

La-Belle-Vie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Yum
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

love this recipe, i have been wanting to make my own granola bars

Satan71
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Rhonda has a great one that I've been using for a while now. I change it to make it a bit more paleo friendly.  My kids love iteither way. They don't like store bought ones anymore.lol

Homemade granola bars

I discovered a great granola bar recipe! It's not hard like some granola bars are.

GRANOLA BARS
  • 4 c. oatmeal
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 c. coconut (use 1 c. extra oats and omit this if someone can't have tree nuts due to allergies)
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 c. vegetable or canola oil
  • 3/4 c. honey (OR 1/2 c. honey & 1/4 c. molasses OR 1/2 c. honey & 1/4 c. light corn syrup)
  • raisins, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, dried fruit pieces, chopped nuts...whatever you'd like to add.

Mix dry ingredients well. Add oil and honey. Mix well. Get your fingers in there and mix it until all is blended and slightly sticky. Add raisins or whatever you like. Press firmly into greased jelly roll plan (12 x 15 or close to that.) Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 375°. They will look puffy and soft when you take them out. Do not let them turn brown or they will be very hard. Cut into squares/rectangles while still warm.

I used the honey/corn syrup mixture because I ran out of honey. I added 1 c. raisins, 1 c. chocolate chips, and about 3/4 c. sunflower seeds.

It turned out that 375° was too hot for my granola bars. I'm not sure if it's my oven, but the bars were done at about 10 minutes instead of 15, and the undersides of the bars in one corner were slightly burned. I'm going to try 350° next time.

Quoting AlL_eYeS_oN_mE:

love this recipe, i have been wanting to make my own granola bars

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN