I used to make this in my pre-Paleo days, and it's well worth the work! YUM!
Enjoy this take out restaurant of fried pork, sliced carrots, green bell peppers and pineapple at home.
- Trim excess fat from pork. Cut pork into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 inch oil deep fryer or Dutch oven 360ºF.
- Beat flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the egg in large bowl with hand beater until smooth. Stir pork into batter until well coated.
- Add pork pieces, one at a time, to oil. Fry about 20 pieces at a time about 5 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple syrup to measure 1 cup. Heat syrup mixture, brown sugar, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the soy sauce, carrots and garlic to boiling in Dutch oven; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer about 6 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water; stir into sauce.
- Add pork, pineapple and bell pepper. Heat to boiling, stirr constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve with rice.