Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Recipe of the Week: May 6: Crepes

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

Just in time for Mother's Day. These are so easy to make, but taste great. Fill them with fruit or other fillings.

Crepes
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter, melted

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and water. Gradually add in the flour, stirring to combine. Add the salt. sugar, vanilla and butter; beat until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.

Crepes Suzette with Orange Sauce and Ice Cream

Classic Crepes Suzettes

• 4 tablespoons butter
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • Juice of 6 oranges; zest from one
  • Extra whole orange for garnish
  • 3 tablespoons of orange liqueur (We use Grand Marnier)
  • 3 tablespoons cognac (optional)

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, zest, juice, and liqueur. Stirring constantly, reduce sauce to ⅔ cup.

Very delicately add each crepe to the pan—one at a time—and coat it in the sauce. (We used a fork rather than a spatula for this.) Fold each one in quarters, and arrange three on each plate, repeating until each crepe has been dipped and plated. You may overlap them or arrange in a circle as we did in the picture above, with a scoop of ice cream in the middle and extra sauce over the top. Scrap up the extra bits of orange zest and add orange slices as your garnish.

Adults only: If you wish to flambé the sauce, reserve two tablespoons and add three more of brandy. Stir together and remove the pan from the heat. Ignite with a match and pour the flaming sauce over the crepes. Important Note: You should only ignite the sauce using a metal pan; do not use a non-stick pan. Please exercise due caution and remove all flammable materials (dishcloths, etc) from the work area.

Read more: http://www.world-of-crepes.com/crepes-suzette-2.html#ixzz1u6LPsuje

Other Fillings:

Strawberry Cream
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Combine the strawberries and sugar and chill, anywhere from an hour to overnight.
Drain excess water from strawberries and sugar.
In mixing bowl blend cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
Stir in reserved strawberries.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I LOVE crepes...we use a different recipe, though, that uses almond flour and more eggs.

Thanks for the different filling ideas!

andrea96
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I have not made crepes since I was in 4-H almost 30 years ago. I really liked them, so I'm not sure why I haven't made them since.

mommythree0508
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
I love crepes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM

My Oma made crepes a lot.  She would make an apple filling and use whip cream with nuts on top.  A basic banana, pbj one.  Sometimes she would cook up blueberrries or strawberry filling along with whip cream on top ;)  I have tried to make them but I can't perfect them because I don't make them often enough.  LOL at the idea of getting them for Mom's day....but it would be nice!

AlL_eYeS_oN_mE
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Mmmmm those strawberry ones look yummy! I have always wanted to try crepes.
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Those sound delicious.

Quoting taKENheart:

My Oma made crepes a lot.  She would make an apple filling and use whip cream with nuts on top.  A basic banana, pbj one.  Sometimes she would cook up blueberrries or strawberry filling along with whip cream on top ;)  I have tried to make them but I can't perfect them because I don't make them often enough.  LOL at the idea of getting them for Mom's day....but it would be nice!

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

They're really easy-they just look fancy; you should try them.

Quoting AlL_eYeS_oN_mE:

Mmmmm those strawberry ones look yummy! I have always wanted to try crepes.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Crepes are very good spread with nutella. I sometimes slice bananas and place on top with whipped cream. Delicious.

matheson7
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

These sound delicious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN