Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Gardening friends, a ? About thinning lettuce

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I need to thin my lettuce. Can I just cut leaves off, or do I need to actually pull roots out?

Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM
3 moms liked this

You'll need to pull the roots out.  Otherwise there will be too many roots taking up the nutrients in the soil.

Kelly913
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Can they be relocated? 

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
You can relocate them to mah house!

Quoting Kelly913:

Can they be relocated? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM
The seeds were so little, we have a lot to thin! But we are totally out of space.

Quoting Kelly913:

Can they be relocated? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM

My lettuce was struggling to come in, then the chickens found the planting bed and they're history!  I'm bummed, but we did join the CSA this year and I'm looking forward to that "harvest".  What else did you plant?

Quoting Marti123:

The seeds were so little, we have a lot to thin! But we are totally out of space.

Quoting Kelly913:

Can they be relocated? 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Marti123
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM
I will say, I think home grown food tastes better. But I thinned today and ate baby lettuce salad and of all the things we grow, it tastes exactly like what we buy in the store, lol, so at least you are not missing out on taste!! We planted variety pack, red leaf and butter lettuce. So we will be lettuce salad eating fools, except my DSs, they will be skinny little rascals becuase they won't eat lettuce.

Did the rest of your garden survive chickens?

We have rainbow Swiss chard, and that stuff is hardy as heck!! Grows all summer! Bull's beet blood greens, beets, carrots, multiple kinds of kale, fennel, bok choy, summer squash, Fava beans, peppers and more peppers, and like 6 tomato plants.

Our Thai long beans never took off and the tomatoes look stunted. But we shall see.

I hope you Garden is well!

Quoting Kelly913:

My lettuce was struggling to come in, then the chickens found the planting bed and they're history!  I'm bummed, but we did join the CSA this year and I'm looking forward to that "harvest".  What else did you plant?

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting Kelly913:

Can they be relocated? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Nothing.  Having just moved, we'll plant what we can, if we can.  The lettuce was in a shady spot near the front door where I had planted flowers too.  At least you know what's in and on your lettuce, even if the flavor isn't any different! 

Quoting Marti123:

I will say, I think home grown food tastes better. But I thinned today and ate baby lettuce salad and of all the things we grow, it tastes exactly like what we buy in the store, lol, so at least you are not missing out on taste!! We planted variety pack, red leaf and butter lettuce. So we will be lettuce salad eating fools, except my DSs, they will be skinny little rascals becuase they won't eat lettuce.

Did the rest of your garden survive chickens?

We have rainbow Swiss chard, and that stuff is hardy as heck!! Grows all summer! Bull's beet blood greens, beets, carrots, multiple kinds of kale, fennel, bok choy, summer squash, Fava beans, peppers and more peppers, and like 6 tomato plants.

Our Thai long beans never took off and the tomatoes look stunted. But we shall see.

I hope you Garden is well!

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting Kelly913:

Can they be relocated? 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)