orginal Recipe Yield 4 servings
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle ginger ale
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, stir together pineapple chunks (with juices), peppers, carrots, and coconut. Mix in basil, ginger, garlic, oregano, and bay leaf. Pour in ginger ale, and stir in chicken strips. Cover, and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in chicken and marinade; simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is fully cooked and lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water; stir into sauce; cook to thicken, about 5 minutes more.