Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Easy, Cheesy No-Boil Macaroni & Cheese

Posted by   + Show Post

Easy, Cheesy No-Boil Macaroni & Cheese

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on May 8, 2012 at 9:28 AM

macaroni and cheeseIf there's a universal food of yum, it's got to be macaroni and cheese. It's comfort food at its finest, and nearly everyone likes it. Of course, there are varying degrees of its deliciousness, but homemade always come in first as far as I'm concerned. Of course, it's not as easy as that stuff out of a box, so often the box wins out.

The following recipe from Plain Chicken, however, gives the box a big run for its convenience money, because it's that easy. Get this -- you don't even have to boil the noodles. You simply toss all the ingredients in a pan, cover with aluminum foil, and bake. The end result will blow you and your family away. 

Creamy No-Boil Macaroni and Cheese

1 cup cottage cheese (not low fat)
2 cups milk (not skim)
1 tsp dijon mustard
Pinch cayenne
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 pound sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 pound elbow pasta, uncooked

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 9-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a food processor or blender, purée cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together. Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheese for topping.

In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.

Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned.

Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Replies (11-17):
egm01
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Sounds great. I have everything I think, so we'll try it tonight. I'll post a review later. I will say I love cottage cheese, Marsh's brand 4% fat is the best. I stop there for it specially. I've used blended cottage cheese in lemon bars in place of cream cheese and while I thought it was odd sounding I couldn't tell any difference at all. Once it goes through the magic bullet for a few seconds it's completely smooth. I wouldn't skip the blending for this recipe or it'll still have some curds when done. My grandma's lasagna recipe uses it, not blended, in place of ricotta. 4% isn't much difference calorie wise and tastes much better than low fat. I imagine the noodles are fine. I never boil the lasagna noodles, they're not the no boil ones. Anyhow my girls will be delighted with mac and cheese tonight. I'll figure calories for mine and see how it goes. Thanks!
bec94
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM
I'll be checking back :-). Good luck!

Quoting egm01:

Sounds great. I have everything I think, so we'll try it tonight. I'll post a review later. I will say I love cottage cheese, Marsh's brand 4% fat is the best. I stop there for it specially. I've used blended cottage cheese in lemon bars in place of cream cheese and while I thought it was odd sounding I couldn't tell any difference at all. Once it goes through the magic bullet for a few seconds it's completely smooth. I wouldn't skip the blending for this recipe or it'll still have some curds when done. My grandma's lasagna recipe uses it, not blended, in place of ricotta. 4% isn't much difference calorie wise and tastes much better than low fat. I imagine the noodles are fine. I never boil the lasagna noodles, they're not the no boil ones. Anyhow my girls will be delighted with mac and cheese tonight. I'll figure calories for mine and see how it goes. Thanks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justahousewife
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I love new recipes for old favorites. I might put this on the table sometime next week. 

egm01
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Ok I couldn't wait until dinner, not with a willing 3 yr old helper! We made it for lunch... pretty good! Definitely better than boxed stuff and easy to make. My cottage cheese didn't get totally smooth. I used kroger brand, a blender instead of the magic bullet so I don't know which is responsible. Next time I'll use the magic bullet on the cottage cheese only then add the other stuff. If time allows heating and melting it in a saucepan for a few makes it nice, which is our normal homemade recipe. This had some stringy melted cheese texture going on, not perfectly creamy like I prefer. Using a block instead of preshredded cheese will help that, so will melting everything minus pasta first. I did make changes.... halved all spices except salt, I'm not a big pepper person and dh hates mustard :) then I used 2 cups cheese and another half cup on top. The full 4 was 1600 calories and seemed like too much cheese. I used a mix of cheddar, colby jack. The pasta cooked fully and still has a shape, we used rotini. So it was good, not soupy or mushy, no clue there's cottage cheese in it but not smooth like you'd get if you warm up and melt cheese milk mix first. It'll save a big step in cooking the pasta first and will be fine if I can't warm the mix first. I really think grating your own cheese will fix the smoothness thing, they add non caking stuff to shredded bags of cheese. The covered and uncovered times were perfect, lightly browned on top.

Calories.. (I have my metabolism tested to eat the right number for losing weight) Mine is 2440 calories total recipe. It'll serve 8 adult sides, so about 305 calories. Without the added butter it's 280 (we always add a couple tbls butter to homemade so I did here too, wasn't necessary). Without butter and with all 4 cups cheese it's 2840 total. Pretty high calorie side for me, but pretty average for mac and cheese.
jessicasmom1
by on May. 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Thank you Egm01 for the review

matheson7
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Sounds good.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

bump for later

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)