Chocolate Cream Cakes
Serves: 8Yields: 4 cakes
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Oven Temp: 350
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- Baking spray
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 cup(s) sour cream
- 1/3 cup(s) canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) cold water
- 2 ounce(s) white chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) heavy cream
- 6 ounce(s) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) light corn syrup
- 2 ounce(s) white chocolate, for decoration, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 4 (4- to 4 1/2-inch) nonstick individual springform pans with baking spray. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a second bowl, whisk sour cream, oil, egg, vinegar, and vanilla; stir in flour mixture. Spread in prepared pans. Bake 28 minutes. Let cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire rack; remove sides and bottoms of pans. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small saucepan; let stand 1 minute to soften. Gently heat over low heat, stirring, until gelatin dissolves and is clear. Add white chocolate; stir until melted and mixture is smooth. Stir mixture into heavy cream in a medium bowl; chill 15 minutes. Beat with a handheld mixer on high until stiff peaks form. Transfer filling to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip.
- With a knife, slice cakes open from sides, as if to cut into 2 even layers but stopping three quarters of the way. Pipe some filling into the middle of each cake. Press cakes together; place on a wire rack set over a jelly-roll pan.
- Put bittersweet chocolate in a small bowl. Bring cream and corn syrup to a boil in a 2-cup glass measure in the microwave. Pour over chocolate. Let stand 2 minutes; whisk until smooth. Spoon the glaze over cakes, letting excess run off into the jelly-roll pan. Refrigerate to set glaze.
- Decoration: Put white chocolate into a 1-quart resealable food-storage bag; seal bag. Place bag in a bowl of very hot tap water. Let stand 5 minutes until melted. Snip off one corner of the bag; drizzle melted chocolate over top of cakes. Refrigerate to set.