Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Any Southerner's?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM
  • 18 Replies

I have a good amount of greens from the u-pick farm the other day and am planning to cook them to go with dinner tomorrow night.  I can search out recipes, but if any of you here have one you've used and like, I much prefer trying something that someone I "know" enjoys.  I have beet greens, kale, Swiss chard, spinach-think that's it.  I have bacon and fat back for flavoring, as well as vinegars and evoo.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's a traditional Southern way of cooking collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, beet greens or kale. This uses ham hocks, but you could also use fat back, salt pork or bacon.

Collard Greens

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 smoked ham hock, about 3/4 pound
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 pounds collard greens, about 3 large bunches, rinsed and drained, stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
6 to 7 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Hot sauce, to taste

In a Dutch oven or other large, deep pot over medium heat, warm oil. Add onions and ham hock, and saute 8 to 10 minutes, stirring a few times, until onions are browned and wilted. Add collards, broth, vinegar, salt and black pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce. Stir well. Cover and bring to a low rolling boil. Partially cover and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the collards are soft and pale green. If you like them really soft, then cook them longer, until desired consistency is reached. Taste them, and season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Ladle some of the liquid over the collards before serving. And keep the hot sauce bottle on the table.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

This is the best recipe I've found.

Swiss Chard

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 bunch Swiss chard, stems and center ribs cut out and chopped together, leaves coarsely chopped separately
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
Melt butter and olive oil together in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chard stems, the white wine and raisins. Simmer until the stems begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chard leaves, and cook until wilted. Finally, stir in lemon juice and Parmesan cheese; season to taste with salt if needed.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Here's a different recipe, I was skeptical at first, but it really works for any greens.

Sauteed Greens

1/2 cup chopped onion 

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger

1 serrano pepper, split*

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 (1-lb.) package fresh collard greens, washed, trimmed, and coarsely chopped

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

Sauté onion and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet or wok 1 minute. Stir in salt and pepper. Add greens; sauté 2 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar; cover and cook 3 minutes or until wilted. Remove and discard serrano pepper before serving.

*1/2 jalapeño pepper, split, may be substituted.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Spinach cooks quickly. This is my favorite way to make it

Spinach

1 1/2 pounds baby spinach leaves

2 tablespoons good olive oil

2 tablespoons chopped garlic (6 cloves)

2 teaspoons kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Lemon or mild vinegar

Sea or kosher salt, optional

Rinse the spinach well in cold water to make sure it's very clean. Spin it dry in a salad spinner, leaving just a little water clinging to the leaves.

In a very large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and saute the garlic over medium heat for about 1 minute, but not until it's browned. Add all the spinach, the salt, and pepper to the pot, toss it with the garlic and oil. and cook it for 1-2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all the spinach is  barelywilted. Remove from heat and turn into serving dish immediately. Ttop with the butter, a squeeze of lemon or a sprinkle of vinegar, and a sprinkling of sea or kosher salt. Serve hot.

Creamed Spinach: As spinach starts to wilt add 1/4 heavy cream or about 3 oz cream cheese and cook for an extra 3-4 minutes. Optional-Add a very tiny bit of nutmeg-a tiny pinch.

Like onions? Saute 1/2 an onion, finely diced and saute in olive oil for about 1 minute, befor adding garlic.

Artichokes?-Add some canned, or cooked artichokes to this, and stir till just warmed through-delicious. Tastes a bit like spinach-artichoke dip, but as a side dish.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I add fresh spinach to fruit smoothies-you can't tast it. Also add spinach to scrambled eggs, omelettes, quiche, soups, stirfries, and my family loves spinach salads. Great with bacon and boiled eggs and hot bacon dressing, or with fresh fruit and nuts and a light viniagarette.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

This was recently posted in Southern & Soul Food group. I haven't tried it yet, but it sure sounds good. I think it would also be good with ham or leftover pork roast

Potato Kielbasa Skillet

1 pound red potatoes, cubed
3 tablespoons water
3/4 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups fresh baby spinach
5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes or until tender; drain.
In a large skillet, saute kielbasa and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add potatoes; saute 3-5 minutes longer or until kielbasa and potatoes are lightly browned.
Combine the brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, thyme and pepper; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Add spinach and bacon; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Yield: 4 servings.

Kelly913
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Thanks Luci!  I mostly have lettuce, and not enough spinach to try the one recipe.  There's enough kale and chard to have as a side dish, with a few beet greens.  Have you had the one with ginger and serrano peppers?  The combo doesn't sound good, but could be.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I have tried it and it was good, but I have an allergy to hot peppers, so I didn't use the serranos, but  it was in the recipe so I left it in for those who use peppers.

Quoting Kelly913:

Thanks Luci!  I mostly have lettuce, and not enough spinach to try the one recipe.  There's enough kale and chard to have as a side dish, with a few beet greens.  Have you had the one with ginger and serrano peppers?  The combo doesn't sound good, but could be.

maryjxo1988
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Neck bones!!
Kelly913
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

From any particular animal? 

Quoting maryjxo1988:

Neck bones!!

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)