Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this soup healthy?

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have a lot of folks who like to sop up bbq sauce with bread when we have brisket or steaks. I needed a quick meal ... now I wonder if it's healthy to serve again.

Meatball Bean & Beet Soup

1 pkg ready-made frozen small meatballs (any meat, approx 25 of them)
2 cans pork n' beans (add bean juice)
1 can shoestring beets (drained)
1 bottle KC style bbq sauce
2 tbsp grape jam

Microwave meatballs according to pkg instructions to heat. Place meatballs in pot and add pork n' beans. Heat but do not boil. Add beets, bbq sauce, and jam. Simmer about 15 min and serve.

I served it with kernel corn & mashed potatoes.

by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 21, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on your definition of healthy.  I see several things that I would personally consider not healthy, but I don't see why serving it once in a while would hurt anything.  It's certainly a lot better than many things people would eat.

Kelly913
by on May. 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

For me and my family, it's not the kind of ingredients we'd use, but the overall recipe sounds pretty good flavor wise.  Except the grape jelly.  I tried some grape jelly meatballs at a party once because everyone was raving about them and I thought they were nasty.

Other than the items being premade and canned though, it sounds like it could be healthy.  Did you enjoy it? 

Mom2Kylie2708
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM
For my family we would say no
Marti123
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM
It would not meet the American Heart Association criteria as heart healthy.

Who is eating it?? Do you guys have health problems?? The sodium content would be off the charts. Could be pretty high in sugar depending on the BBQ sauce as well. But as others have suggested, still better than fast food, and you probably wouldn't be eating every month anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

It does not sound healthy at all.  If you enjoy it then having it every once in awhile would be fine.

egm01
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM
It's all packaged stuff so it should be easy enough to figure out. My guess is no, that's not healthy. But look at the packages next time you make it. Add up the calories, total fat and/or saturated fat, sodium, fiber, and sugar. Then divide them each by the number of servings you get. Then keep in mind you're adding corn and mashed potatoes too. My thought is lots of sugar, too much fat, too much sodium, decent amt of fiber, and as a meal over 600 calories at least. I don't know how much protein is in those meatballs either. Not horrible sometimes but you couldn't call it healthy either. I do like using those meatballs with gravy, yum.
justahousewife
by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM

The ingredients in the meatballs, can of beans and bbq sauce is what I'd be looking at. Made at home from scratch I wouldn't hesitate besides the grape jam sounds weird. 

When I think of anything going in the microwave I have a hard time not thinking chewy and rubbery but then maybe I've just never mastered that art of microwaving anything. :)

I'd go the extra mile and make it all from scratch. That'll leave you with a huge sense of accomplisment that doesn't come from a can. 

jessicasmom1
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I personally would say no , I stay away from prepackaged things as much as possiable. Could you make your meatballs, thow in your bbq beans with some bacon?

August07Mom
by Tiesha on May. 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I tend to stay away from prepackaged food as well.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I personally would say no , I stay away from prepackaged things as much as possiable. Could you make your meatballs, thow in your bbq beans with some bacon?

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Quoting jessicasmom1:

With all the ground meat recalls and egg salmonella contamination, it's probably just as safe to buy ready-made meatballs. Plus, I could never make my meatballs as tight as theirs.

My family does not like beans but they were okay with these. Everyone was happily curious eating the beets. If I made it again, I would also add some matchstick carrots.

The recipe makes 8 servings and suggest garnishing with a dollop of sour cream. I didn't do the sour cream/parsley topping and just served with a spoon of corn and mashed potatoes on the side.

The best part for me was seeing them leave the leftover sauce behind on their plates and not sopping it up with bread. (that personally grosses me out.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)