Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

It's National Escargot Day. Have you ever eaten a snail?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
justahousewife
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Quoting andrea96:

Quoting justahousewife:

I've never eaten them. But when I was looking at ways to make money at home I did a lot of research on the farming aspect of escargot. It's interesting. :)

How difficult is farming escargot?

From what I read the hardest part is keeping copper around the beds so your snails don't get out. Copper has a high price tag on it so if the word gets out you get to deal with thieves. 

You keep them in raised beds, sort of like a garden bed. Feed them garden scraps then ship off the big ones to restaurants on demand chilled but not dead. 

When I was looking at it 10yrs ago the going price was $4-6/dozen med-large snail. If you earn a reputation for clean snails then you can ask more. Not bad for a slimy little bugger than few care to eat. 

:)

I never did try my hand at it though. I found something a little more appealing to the masses. 

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Actually, the taste is completely different. Conch is very tough and has to be tenderized or cut into very small pieces before it can be eaten-escargot is very tender. Conch really doesn't have much flavor and is usually highly spiced. Escargot has a very delicate and is usually seasoned with butter and a bit of garlic. I would say the flavor and texture of escargot is more similar to mushrooms.

Quoting AdriaD:

No, but I've eaten Conch and they're kinda sorta like snails, lol.

andrea96
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Quoting justahousewife:

Quoting andrea96:

Quoting justahousewife:

I've never eaten them. But when I was looking at ways to make money at home I did a lot of research on the farming aspect of escargot. It's interesting. :)

From what I read the hardest part is keeping copper around the beds so your snails don't get out. Copper has a high price tag on it so if the word gets out you get to deal with thieves. 

You keep them in raised beds, sort of like a garden bed. Feed them garden scraps then ship off the big ones to restaurants on demand chilled but not dead. 

When I was looking at it 10yrs ago the going price was $4-6/dozen med-large snail. If you earn a reputation for clean snails then you can ask more. Not bad for a slimy little bugger than few care to eat. 

I never did try my hand at it though. I found something a little more appealing to the masses. 

My son would think they were really cool. I don't know how well they would do here during the summer. Not that I would ever want to raise snails.

What is the reason it has to be copper?

andrea96
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I don't really like mushrooms, so I still think escargot is a "no" for me. lol!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Actually, the taste is completely different. Conch is very tough and has to be tenderized or cut into very small pieces before it can be eaten-escargot is very tender. Conch really doesn't have much flavor and is usually highly spiced. Escargot has a very delicate and is usually seasoned with butter and a bit of garlic. I would say the flavor and texture of escargot is more similar to mushrooms.

Quoting AdriaD:

justahousewife
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Quoting andrea96:

Quoting justahousewife:

Quoting andrea96:

Quoting justahousewife:

My son would think they were really cool. I don't know how well they would do here during the summer. Not that I would ever want to raise snails.

What is the reason it has to be copper?

Copper is a natural deterrent for snails, they won't crawl over it. Something to do with the metal reacting with their slime. Gross but very interesting. 

Kelly913
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Just doesn't even sound appealing, does it? 

Quoting andrea96:

No, and I don't think I ever will.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Kelly913
by on May. 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM

More reason to avoid it-mushrooms are NASTY!  LOL 

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting AdriaD:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

jessicasmom1
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:22 PM

ekk Nope .. 

Moms_Angels1960
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Nope, doesn't even interest me at all.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Gack! No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)