Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Biscuits from scratch! They were so buttery and flaky. I'm so proud of myself. I will never buy the tube of pre-made biscuits again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Replies (11-19):
mamabearlehman
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM
No. I used 2% milk. I'm going to post the recipe

Quoting Kelly913:

Way to go mama!  Did the recipe call for buttermilk?  That's usually what stops me-my local store doesn't always have it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp white sugar
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter. ( I used a fork for this). Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from bowl.

Turn out on a floured surface & knead 15 to 20 times (not minutes) Pat dough out to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all dough is used.

Brush with melted butter and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown.

These can be prepared and stored in the fridge for a few hours until ready to bake.

Quoting babynurse244:

Can you share your recipe? We're having a ham tonight (yeah, I know, totally not Memorial day food) and I'd love to make some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babynurse244
by Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdriaD
by on May. 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Kelly - you know you can just sour your milk with vinegar or lemon juice, right?  If I don't have buttermilk, then that is what I'll do.  I find it works best with whole milk and I'll prepare it before I start the rest of the recipe.  I even make them with GF flour mix.  They don't rise much, they look more like muffin tops, but oh are they good!

Quoting Kelly913:

Way to go mama!  Did the recipe call for buttermilk?  That's usually what stops me-my local store doesn't always have it. 

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on May. 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM
They look delicious!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on May. 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I generally use sour cream in place of buttermilk when I don't have any.  I much prefer the cultured variety of buttermilk, but the lower fat content of Alpine milk doesn't make a very good one.

Oh, and yes I'd heard that, just haven't tried it. 

Quoting AdriaD:

Kelly - you know you can just sour your milk with vinegar or lemon juice, right?  If I don't have buttermilk, then that is what I'll do.  I find it works best with whole milk and I'll prepare it before I start the rest of the recipe.  I even make them with GF flour mix.  They don't rise much, they look more like muffin tops, but oh are they good!

Quoting Kelly913:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Good for you! My family loves biscuits and I make them often.

deeredone2
by on May. 29, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Looks good
VanBurren
by on May. 30, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Kuddos to you!  They look great.  I'll have to try your recipe (hopefully this weekend). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)