Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Food Preferences

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM
  • 20 Replies

Do you & your family have different food preferences? I love fresh veggies, salads, light, flavorful foods.  I don't like heavy sauces, and I'm not so much a meat & potatoes person.

SInce I'm the meal planner, I rarely make things that *I* like since no one else would eat it!  Seeing the recipes for the grapefruit salad & chicken/spinach quessadillas made me think of this.  I'd love to try them but would hate to bother for just myself. 

I *have* gotten my family to try new things and I continue to offer.  Do you run into this at all?

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I do, so I make sure we have a variety of meals.  I might not love the meal we're having tonight, but I know I'll have one that I love in a few days, for example.  I don't hesitate to try new recipes, though; I never know what will be a hit with the family.

TwinSoccerMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Fortunately we all have very similar food likes and no one is very picky.  Although I was as a kid and had to force myself to try stuff as an adult so I was determined to help ensure our kids were not the same way.  Thankfully between DH, myself and MIL (who use to babysit them) making sure that they try new things and not make special meals ever since they were you they will eat or at least try most anything.  DD isn't crazy about foods that are spicy but DS loves them so we mix it up a little on that.  But overall we all like a variety of foods and of course each of has things that we like more than others.

TwinSoccerMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That's the way I have been for the last several years since I finally got comfortable cooking and trying new recipes.  Some things turn out to be huge hits and become new family favorites and others we don't bother trying again.  I have only had a couple of things that I tried and none of us wanted to eat it so we had something else.  If I am making something that I am not sure we are going to like or not I make sure to have a back up plan just in case.  But it is nice having a family that is willing to try new stuff.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't hesitate to try new recipes, though; I never know what will be a hit with the family.

andrea96
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yes. Our biggest problem is vegetables. The ones I like, no one else does. My husband will eat most veggies, but he's not fond of my favorites. The kids are also complete opposites.

aenima49
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I do continue to try new recipes, but there are things that I know will be a dud.

taKENheart
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

There seems to always be something but I usually can work around it.  Example is 3 of us enjoy salads and 1 doesn't so I make sure there are leftovers for salad night.  3 of us eat fish but 1 doesn't so I always pull out a chicken breast.
Friday and Saturdays are fun food night which means junk :) so dh and I make things only we will eat like Stew or ham with cheesy potatoes.
My kids ate what we put in front of them when they were young but I did make exceptions like for fish night etc...
I do try new recipes sometimes but if there are ingredients that the kids don't like then they have leftovers because I'm not cooking 2meals unless one is crockpot :)

taKENheart
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Oh I forgot something...I seem to like a few things that nobody does and I never make them.  Enchiladas, lasagna and liver with onions lol.  I am the meal planner but I always ask for requests.

4kidz916
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I make the meals I like and some heavier things that they like.  We've all learned to compromise.

Kelly913
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM

We like all kinds of foods, flavors, textures, etc.  My family eats whatever I fix. 

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I have noticed family members eating foods, that they profess to not like, other places. I even noticed someone order a meal that they objected to eating at home. I never say anything ... I just silently & mentally take it off "don't like list."

They don't like a loaded pizza but like a loaded burrito ???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN