Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Which meals do you plan?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm hoping this group will help me get back to my meal planning!  I used to plan dinners at least a week in advance, but having a third baby threw a wrench in the works.  I never really know if I will be able to prepare a proper dinner or if we will just have to reheat something I've frozen.  Depends on his mood & needs for the night kwim?

But this made me think...I rarely, if ever plan breakfast or lunch, unless I am making something special (like cinnamon rolls for Saturday breakfast.)  I usually have no idea what I will make.

So I wondered, do you plan all your meals, or just dinner?

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Replies (11-16):
August07Mom
by Tiesha on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Just dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aenima49
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Quoting Kelly913:

When I plan, I plan all 3.  If I were in your shoes, I'd cook double portions when I do cook so that the nights when you're just not able, you've already taken care of it.  I also keep easy stuff around, like cheese and tortillas for quesadillas. 

That's what I do.  I usually make batches & freeze so I can warm things up.  It's just hard to prepare things other than on weekends when DH is home.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan all three meals. I like to ensure that my family is getting a variety of healthy foods, with Vitamin C every day and Vitamin A in the form of deep green vegetables or deep yellow vegetables or fruits every other day, ample amounts of calcium; just a few things I take into consideration-but basically lots of variety will bring about better nutrition, because lots of trace elements are present in different foods.

In a perfect world, this would always go smoothly, but plans change and we don't always have exactly what I planned. If someone doesn't want what's planned, it's easy to switch days. It really does help to plan though, because I now find I have much less waste and spend less on food.

I get a delivery of produce from local farms each week, so I use that as a starting point, plus checking on what I have on hand that needs to be used, then check the sales ads, and do my shopping, and make up my plan. Making a meal plan prevents that "what am I going to make" at the last minute, and it also prevents a lot of trips to the grocery.

Kelly913
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

If I were to give myself good advice (ha, and actually follow it!!) I'd say to be grateful you have the weekends to prepare meals.  I've been bad lately at letting the negative overtake the positive, so I need this advice myself! 

Quoting aenima49:

Quoting Kelly913:

When I plan, I plan all 3.  If I were in your shoes, I'd cook double portions when I do cook so that the nights when you're just not able, you've already taken care of it.  I also keep easy stuff around, like cheese and tortillas for quesadillas. 

That's what I do.  I usually make batches & freeze so I can warm things up.  It's just hard to prepare things other than on weekends when DH is home.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

aenima49
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining.  This is my third child & the first time in a long time that my DH is regularly home vs. traveling.  So I am very grateful to be able to prepare meals on the weekends.  I was just curious if other people planned every meal.  I tend to keep certain things in my pantry & fridge & do other meals on the fly since they are easier than dinner for me!  :-)

Quoting Kelly913:

If I were to give myself good advice (ha, and actually follow it!!) I'd say to be grateful you have the weekends to prepare meals.  I've been bad lately at letting the negative overtake the positive, so I need this advice myself! 

Quoting aenima49:

Quoting Kelly913:

VanBurren
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I usually only plan dinners.  Lunches are usually leftovers for me, and Matt will grab something from the freezer.  Occasionally, I'll buy something specific for my lunches, like lunchmeat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN