Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Eat Real Food: 10 Easy No-Cook Suppers [borrowed from a blog]

Posted by   + Show Post

Eat Real Food: 10 Easy No-Cook Suppers

by Jessica on June 11, 2012

Try one of these easy, no cook suppers for quick summer fare.

You don’t have to cook every night. Just eat real food. – Chef Thierry Rautureau, as quoted in The Kitchen Counter Cooking School

As I mentioned awhile ago, reading Kathleen Flinn‘s book was a huge boost to my cooking experience. Its emphasis on cooking at home and focusing on the basics was a great reminder that good meals don’t need to be complicated. The above quote was so simple, but helpful, I had to make a note of it.

The chef in question had been explaining how some nights after a long day of work, he just wants some good bread and jam and a cup of hot cocoa, what I imagine to be the french equivalent of “Breakfast for Supper”.

It made so much sense!

We don’t need to abandon ourselves to fast food or meals from a box, simple no-cook “meals” can be just as good and filling as a four-course feast.

Just make sure you’re eating real food.

Here are some easy no-cook suppers to pull together on these carefree summer nights.

1. Hummus, flat bread, and crudite veggies

2. Hard-cooked eggs, fresh fruit, and a whole-grain roll

3. Apple slices, almonds, cheese, fresh baked bread

4. Cottage cheese, cut-up melon, whole wheat toast

5. Yogurt, granola, fresh berries

6. Sliced cheese and meats, crackers, and in-season fruit

7. Salad of sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and a drizzle of balsamic. Add baguette slices to sop up the juices.

8. Rice cake or whole grain bread with a swipe of nut or seed butter, sliced fruit, and a glass of milk

9. Fruit smoothie, made with yogurt or protein powder

10. Drained tuna or salmon tossed with chopped celery and fresh dill, crackers, fresh fruit

Summer dining can be simple!

In the heat of summer, light meals are often preferred. These “meals” are all good old, healthy, real food. Add a glass of your favorite summer beverage and watch the sunset with someone you love. 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Replies (31-33):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Apples & oranges.

When you combine real food to make a meal....that's not the same as buying something with things like high fructose corn syrup or soy lecithin or pyridoxine hydrochloride or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil in the ingredient list.  With real food cooking, we KNOW and can control what is in our meal. The nutrition is already in the food, not added along with things unknown. 

Let me rephrase my original statement:  I don't consider manufactured. prepackaged, and store-bought bread and crackers to be real food.

Quoting Kelly913:

I think the 5 ingredient rule for something premade is a good general guide, but it can't be 100% universally applied to anything that's ever eaten.  I can make a frittata with 10 ingredients and it's still real food.  I'm guessing some of the almond flour recipes you make have more than 5 ingredients.  I know the guideline is meant for premade foods, but just because it has a lot of ingredients doesn't mean that they're not all real.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Kelly913:

This is where we disagree.  Since people have been eating grains since the beginning of time, I classify them as real food.  Today's versions and preparations might not always fit, but traditional preparations, especially with the ancient grains definately are in our home. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Bread and crackers aren't real food, IMO.

This has nothing to do with grains.  Real food, IMO, doesn't have an ingredient list longer than 5 ingredients, and each ingredient is pronounceable.  MOST people won't make their own bread and crackers with real ingredients.  They buy it. 

Kelly913
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM

OK, that we can agree on!  However, there are many brands of bread and crackers that do not have any of those ingredients. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Apples & oranges.

When you combine real food to make a meal....that's not the same as buying something with things like high fructose corn syrup or soy lecithin or pyridoxine hydrochloride or partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil in the ingredient list.  With real food cooking, we KNOW and can control what is in our meal. The nutrition is already in the food, not added along with things unknown. 

Let me rephrase my original statement:  I don't consider manufactured. prepackaged, and store-bought bread and crackers to be real food.

Quoting Kelly913:

I think the 5 ingredient rule for something premade is a good general guide, but it can't be 100% universally applied to anything that's ever eaten.  I can make a frittata with 10 ingredients and it's still real food.  I'm guessing some of the almond flour recipes you make have more than 5 ingredients.  I know the guideline is meant for premade foods, but just because it has a lot of ingredients doesn't mean that they're not all real.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Kelly913:

This is where we disagree.  Since people have been eating grains since the beginning of time, I classify them as real food.  Today's versions and preparations might not always fit, but traditional preparations, especially with the ancient grains definately are in our home. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Bread and crackers aren't real food, IMO.

This has nothing to do with grains.  Real food, IMO, doesn't have an ingredient list longer than 5 ingredients, and each ingredient is pronounceable.  MOST people won't make their own bread and crackers with real ingredients.  They buy it. 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

sassymomntx1961
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:59 AM

These look like good snack ideas and for me and dd maybe dinner once a wk if that.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN