Red, White, and Blueberry Trifle
Everyday Food, July/August 2005
- Prep Time30 minutes
- Total Time1 hour 30 minutes
- YieldServes 6
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 store-bought pound cake (12 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups fresh blueberries (three 1/2-pint containers), rinsed and dried
- 3 cups fresh raspberries (two 6-ounce containers)
- Make lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let cool completely, then brush over both sides of cake slices. Quarter each slice.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with remaining 1/3 cup sugar on high speed until lightened. With mixer on medium speed, gradually add heavy cream in a steady stream; continue beating until mixture is light and airy (mixture will be like a very soft whipped cream).
- Arrange half the cake pieces in the bottom of a 2-quart serving dish. Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over cake in dollops; spread to sides of dish. Scatter half the blueberries and raspberries on top. Repeat layering with remaining cake, cream-cheese mixture, and berries, piling berries in the center.
- Cover, and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM