Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Different color twist ties on your bread... Did you know?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM
  • 24 Replies
2 moms liked this
So I learned this about a year ago and seem to forget.
I'll share with you all!
Bread is delivered fresh to your local grocery store mon- sat. With each day there is a color twist tie assigned!
And they are
Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Thursday - Red
Friday - White
Saturday - Yellow
The colors go alphabetically by color Blue - Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday thru Saturday. Very easy to remember. Put a post-it note in your wallet until you remember it!

I just bought 2 loaves of bread today and have a blue and green twist tie. One was fresh they other almost a week old already! I will have to pay closer attention!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicasmom1
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks I often wondered about this but took it in stride that the store would not be selling me old bread LOL 

liltrippymom
thats crazy thank you i will pay attention now too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La-Belle-Vie
1 mom liked this

Here are mine from today
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this

This doesn't work everywhere. Originally bakeries were closed on Wednesday-so no color for Wednesday. Not so most places anymore. Sometimes the tag has a date on it. Usually that means the date it's to be removed from the shelves. In most places, the bread company representative  delivers and stocks the shelves, removing any older bread, so there's usually only a couple of different colors tags on the shelves. The bread company doesn't want you to get stale bread. There's no industry-wide standard, so different companies often have different color codes. If you buy the same brand all the time, call the phone number on the bag and they'll tell you their code. Or just look at the stamped sell by date on the bread bag-so you can get the freshest. This info came from the bread delivery man when I owned a restaurant.

andrea96
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I have heard that.

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Good to know too, thanks

Quoting SweetLuci:

This doesn't work everywhere. Originally bakeries were closed on Wednesday-so no color for Wednesday. Not so most places anymore. Sometimes the tag has a date on it. Usually that means the date it's to be removed from the shelves. In most places, the bread company representative  delivers and stocks the shelves, removing any older bread, so there's usually only a couple of different colors tags on the shelves. The bread company doesn't want you to get stale bread. There's no industry-wide standard, so different companies often have different color codes. If you buy the same brand all the time, call the phone number on the bag and they'll tell you their code. Or just look at the stamped sell by date on the bread bag-so you can get the freshest. This info came from the bread delivery man when I owned a restaurant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
August07Mom
by Tiesha on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I did know that, but I never remember.

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

Good to know too, thanks

Quoting SweetLuci:

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM

The bread I bought today has orange twist ties confusedmaybe they are supposed to be red.  I'll ask DD later as I sometimes can't see colors correctly.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting!

It's been soooo long since I've bought bread.  I'll admit that I never paid attention.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)