Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Yukon gold potatoes yield a texture that's just right for holding a pool of flavorful gravy or melted butter.
Southern Living DECEMBER 2009
- Yield: Makes about 6 cups
- Total:43 Minutes
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1. Peel, Boil & Drain. Peel potatoes, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Bring potatoes, 1 tsp. salt, and cold water to cover to a boil in a medium-size Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 16 to 20 minutes or until fork-tender; drain.
2. Add Creamy Richness. Return potatoes to Dutch oven. Cook until water evaporates and potatoes look dry. Mound potatoes on 1 side; add butter, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt to opposite side of Dutch oven. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture boils.
3. Beat Until Smooth. Remove from heat; beat at medium speed with a hand-held electric mixer 30 seconds to 1 minute or to desired degree of smoothness. (Do not overbeat.) Serve immediately.