Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Goat Cheese

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

Having 2 goats that give about a gallon of milk each day means I've always got more milk than the 3 of us can drink.  I make/use 2 qts of yogurt about every 10 days.  We'll use more when our Nubian kids in a few weeks (their milk is higher in fat, so it makes a creamier yogurt that is better for eating-what we have now just goes into smoothies).  We don't have room in our freezer for ice cream canister, so we haven't been making ice cream. 

So-I make cheese.  It's actually quite simple and takes 1 gallon of milk to get 1 pound of cheese.  I've made 3 batches this week.  This morning I flavored 1 with raw honey, vanilla and almond extract to use with fruit.  The other I minced about 4 cloves of garlic into and added some of my chopped dried tomatoes.  Both are very good!  The 3rd batch has only been salted-looking for more creative ways to flavor it.  The other day I used chopped fresh dill and a couple of cloves of garlic into a batch to take to a dinner party.  That was GOOD!  The gal I got the dill from doesn't have any more growing.

Do you eat goat cheese?  Have any ideas for other ways to flavor it?

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM
I dont think ive ever had it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Melissa on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I've had it before but it seemed a little strong for my taste.  It was store bought though so it may not have been top quality.

aenima49
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Cool, the fruit idea sounds good!

Kelly913
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

There are probably as many types of goat cheese as there are cow cheese.  Then within types there are still variables.  I've had to break my habit of always using the oldest milk when I'm making anything and keep it to 3-4 days old instead.  That gives a much less "goaty" flavor, leaving me with a mild cream like cheese that I can flavor any way I like.

If you're a cheese fan, I suggest continuing to try different kids and see if you like one. 

Quoting 4kidz916:

I've had it before but it seemed a little strong for my taste.  It was store bought though so it may not have been top quality.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Almost any fresh herbs can be used to flavor goat cheese. I especially like lemon thyme, basil, oregano and parsley; in combination-oregano and basil or parsley with almost any other herb. I also like ir with shallots. 

Kelly913
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I'm going to try and stick with whatever herbs come in the CSA or that I already have dried versions of.  I dried all the Italian herbs I got a few weeks ago, and I still have 2 1/2 large jars of dried tomatoes to use.  I just realized today that I could add Frank's hot sauce to a batch and we'd probably love it! 

Quoting SweetLuci:

Almost any fresh herbs can be used to flavor goat cheese. I especially like lemon thyme, basil, oregano and parsley; in combination-oregano and basil or parsley with almost any other herb. I also like ir with shallots. 

VanBurren
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM

My favorite was the garlic and herb that I'd get from a friend.  I can't remember the other flavors she used to make, but I bet the one you made with the garlic and tomatoes was awesome!

Kelly913
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM

It is!  I just had some spread on toasted and buttered garlic/rosemary bread! 

Quoting VanBurren:

My favorite was the garlic and herb that I'd get from a friend.  I can't remember the other flavors she used to make, but I bet the one you made with the garlic and tomatoes was awesome!

VanBurren
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Sounds heavenly....I could make a meal out of that.

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting VanBurren:

Kelly913
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM

With the addition of fresh tomatoes, we did! 

Quoting VanBurren:

Sounds heavenly....I could make a meal out of that.

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting VanBurren:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)