Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

How to Pit a Cherry

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I saw this on Fine Cooking and wanted to share.

How to Pit a Cherry

There are lots of ways to pit a cherry, and if you cook with cherries often, it's worth buying a dedicated cherry pitting tool. But you can also improvise with objects that may already be in your home.

Buy a pitter...

Hand-held cherry pitter This Cuisipro model improves on the standard design by adding a shovel-like edge to the pitter, allowing for quick, one-handed scooping up and pitting of single cherries.   cherry pitter

Hopper-style pitter For frequent or bulk cherry pitting, the Leifheit Cherrymat cherry stoner is a must-have. Load a bunch of cherries in the hopper and smack down on the handle over and over-pitted cherries roll out of the shoot and pits fall neatly into the container below.   cherry pitter

...or improvise one (we had success with all of these methods)

Wooden skewer Insert the point of the skewer into the stem end and gently work it down and around the pit until it loosens enough to be pried out.   cherry pitter

Paper clip Unbend a clip into an "S" shape. Work one end of the clip down into the stem end of a cherry until you can hook under and pull out the pit.   cherry pitter

Drinking straw Poke and then twist a plastic drinking straw into the blossom end of the cherry to remove a plug of the cherry flesh-this makes an exit for the pit. Next, twist the straw into the stem end, pushing gently but firmly until the pit pops out the other side.   cherry pitter

Pastry tip As with the drinking straw, press and twist the blossom end of a cherry onto a small star tip to remove a plug. Turn the cherry over and firmly twist the stem end onto the tip until the pit pops out.   cherry pitter

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andrea96
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I tried using a straw once, and I couldn't get it to work.

VanBurren
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I have a ton of pastry tips.....I'm going to have to try that sometime.  I think the paperclip one would work, too.  Very interesting!

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I pit them with my mouth! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Melissa on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Cool info.  I'll try the pastry tip next time. 

jessicasmom1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM

we like cherry's almost bought a cherry tree ... but then did not want it to shade the fruit salad tree

jessicasmom1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Thanks ! 

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I don't eat cherries.

aenima49
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM

That hopper pitter looks awesome!  Wonder how it works?

lillucky8
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM
I pit them in my mouth or if they are for dd i cut them in half and pit them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cubbies23
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I want a cherry pitter but can't find one anywhere

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)