Italian Hot Dish
My husband had a poor perception of healthy food until he tried this beefy casserole. The combination of pasta, oregano, mushrooms and green peppers make it a favorite in our house. —Theresa Smith of Sheboygan, Wisconsin
4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, 1/2 cup
- mushrooms, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, onion
- powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta; place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking
- spray. Top with meat sauce and remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle with
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with
- remaining cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through
- and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
on Jul. 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM