Basil Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise
I often end up with a bumper crop of basil and here's a favorite way to use some of it. These burgers feature great Italian flavor. And who can resist their gooey, cheesy centers or the scrumptious topping? —Virginia Kochis, Springfield, Virginia
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Additional fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes and water. Let stand for 5 minutes;
- drain. In a food processor, combine mayonnaise and tomatoes; cover
- and process until blended. Chill until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, basil, Italian
- seasoning, garlic, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and
- mix well. Shape into 12 thin patties. Place 2 tablespoons cheese on
- six patties; top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs,
- lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium
- heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or
- until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve
- on buns with mayonnaise mixture and additional basil if desired.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 burger equals 368 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM