Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Spanish Rice

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM
  • 4 Replies
How do you make yours?

I'm always looking for new tricks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Depends on if it's a side or has meat in it (skillet meal). Spanish rice, Mexican rice, and Tex-Mex or Calif-Mex all differ a little. (Spain - Spanish rice does not exist - lol)

Generally, the rice, onion, and garlic is roasted in oil in a skillet first. For a quick side, you would use instant rice and sautee the garlic & onion. (No, you cannot use long grain white rice if you do not roast it.)

The rice, garlic, & onion are then cooked in chicken or vegetable broth. I add either 2 tbsp tomato paste OR 1/2 can tomato sauce (4 oz), OR 16 oz can drained diced tomatoes, OR 1 med tomato seeded & chopped. 

The other ingredients vary too. A small can of chopped green chilies & some cilantro.  S&P to taste.

Usually I serve this style Spanish rice with enchiladas & refried beans.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Never made it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM
2 moms liked this
1-2 TBS Canola oil. Heated. Add diced onion & rice. Stir until the rice is browned. Add 1 can tomato sauce and enough water to cover the rice. Add 1 can of corn drained, 2-3 tbs minced cilantro, 1 tomato diced and seeded, and boullion de pollo con Tomate to taste. Simmer on low until rice has absorbed the water without stirring. Add more water if necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aenima49
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I've never made it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)