Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning
Hi Ladies! I'm new to this meal planning and I think this is what will work best for my family and I. I'm really excited to be in this group.

Okay, here's my problem...I like to cook, but I'm stuck in a rut. It seems like I'm always cooking the same thing. I do find new recipes to try out, but it seems like the ingredients add up and I spend so much for just one meal. How can I stay in a budget, cook healthy meals and nit cook the same thing all the time?

Also, I'm a SAHM. I hate to admit this but I don't cook breakfast as mush as I wish I had. Yes my children would have breakfast but it's usually oatmeal(instant), cereal or scrambled eggs. I want to cook more breakfast meals got my children but I don't know what. I need things that are healthy but quick to make since my morning is so hectic.

I told my DH last night that I'd like to cut processed foods from our meals. How do I go about doing that?

Thank you so much for giving me advice Ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Replies (21-26):
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Veggie Egg Tarts to Go

1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach

3/4 cup liquid egg substitute

3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese

1/4 cup diced green bell pepper

1/4 cup diced onion

3 drops hot-pepper sauce (optional)

Microwave the spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Drain the excess liquid.

Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray.

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

What about muffins that can be made ahead? Smoothies are quick to make in the morning. My family likes grilled ham and cheese as a different breakfast.

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not use coupons only for the fact that you have to by name brand, but if the store brand is there and cheaper I will buy it with no problem. I use no processed foods , staples for us  flour, eggs, butter, and milk, wheat bread , cheese . Our meal plan is changed but we still stick to alot of our favorites the main meat, starch, vegetable, fruit  .. then there are meatless days at times.

VanBurren
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

We all get in a cooking rut from time to time, but the recipes here in this group should help with that.  Be sure to plan your menu around things you already have in your pantry and fridge.  Then plan meals that will use the same ingredients (more or less) so that you use up all the ingredients....for example, if you have a dish one night that uses green peppers, onions and mushrooms, but the recipe only calls for half of those things, be sure to find another recipe (but different) that uses the same ingredients so that you're not throwing away what ends up sitting in your fridge.

As far as your kids breakfast goes, I'd just add maybe some spinach, cheese and mushrooms to those scrambled eggs you already fix them....wrap it all up in a flour tortilla and they have a hand-held breakfast while walking to the bus stop:)

Kelly913
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're going to move away from processed foods, there won't be many coupons available.  That's OK though.  Real food is more nutrient dense than processed and you'll end up not eating as much and save $$ that way. 

Quoting mamma2mygirls:

How about coupons? How do I use them and really save? My stores are Albertsons, occasionally Kroger or Walmart.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Fresh
produce can be pricey, so I will use fresh produce if it's in season or
can't be purchased frozen (like salad greens), and the rest I'll buy
frozen (which is usually cheaper and has retained more nutrients.)  The
exceptions to this are salad greens, fresh mushrooms, potatoes, onions,
citrus for fresh eating (but only in season), celery for fresh eating,
carrots (we prefer fresh over frozen), fresh tomatoes for salads,
bananas (we only buy them once in a while), and apples (DH likes to take
one in his lunch for snacks).

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

mamma2mygirls
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Wow! Thank you so much for these recipes. I'm really excited to try them out. I'm a big pinterest fan so I'm looking there as well for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack ideas. I live using my crockpot so I'm hoping to find some breakfast ideas for that as well.

Quoting SweetLuci:

What about muffins that can be made ahead? Smoothies are quick to make in the morning. My family likes grilled ham and cheese as a different breakfast.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)