Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Cooking once, eating more than once

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

Michiganmom's reply in the weekly meal plan post about cooking once and eating more than once has me thinking about this.  I love the idea and it would save me a lot of time in the kitchen.

What kind of foods or meals can you cook once and eat from more than once?

by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deadlights86
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM
chili soups and stews large casserols. When I make a whole chicken I save what's left and either freeze it or use it the next day for chicken soup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I do this a lot. Cook a ham, roast beef or pork, eat one meal, then cut it up into portions, freeze and use at a later time for things. When I make a casserole, soup, chili or something like lasagna, baked ziti, I use part and freeze part for later, when I don't feel like cooking a whole meal. I make breakfast sandwiches and french toast sticks, waffles, pancakes, muffins, burritos, breakfast casseroles, so mornings are easier. This week we're eating up the freezer stock, so it will be an easy week. Also, it really helps the budget to buy large pieces of meat, or when chicken is on sale, I buy several and bake them all at once, couldn't be easier.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Type freezer meals into the search feature for lots of previous posts.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Any big amount of meat I make into several meals.

A whole chicken is chicken, sandwiches, quesadillas, soup, chicken broth...

Pork roast: chile verde, pulled pork, salad

Etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

To me, it's about both making things to freeze and use later, and planning ahead to use any leftovers.

I'll make meatloaf, then crumble the leftovers into taco soup, into spaghetti sauce, or into a beef gravy to serve over mashed potatoes.

As you read in my previous reply, I'll make pancakes or waffles and freeze or refrigerate extras to use later in the week.  I'll do the same with quiches (we eat them crustless) and eat one, freeze the other.  I'll also cook up breakfast burrito filling (scrambled eggs, sausage, peppers, onions) and freeze extra to use later.

If I'm making a biscuits, it takes no more time to make a dozen than it does 2 dozen.  Biscuits freeze or refrigerate well.  Have sausage gravy & biscuits for breakfast for one meal, then have chicken gravy over biscuits for a dinner later in the week, or you can serve biscuits with a stew or soup. 

Make a double batch of cornbread.  Serve with chili, use the rest to make a cornbread stuffing later in the week.

I agree with previous replies, to make a couple of roasted chickens instead of just one, then plan to use the extra in casseroles, soups, salads, or sandwiches.

You saw my reply about boiling 3 dozen eggs then using them in various ways throughout the week.

Extra mashed potatoes can be made into potato pancakes, or used in potato bread or potato soup.

Leftover cooked rice can be frozen and used in later soups or personal sized rice puddings or in making rice bread.

VanBurren
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Meatloaf, chili, spaghetti....goodness, just about anything really.

MunchiesMom324
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM

That's really hard for us, because we're such a large family (7ppl).  We have leftovers usually with spaghetti, or any pasta dish really, tacos, chili... that's about it.

Kelly913
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm working on plans to do batch cooking twice a month.  DH is available to help me every other Saturday, so I'm working on plans to do a bunch of a certain item so that we can just reheat during the week.  I'm going thru chelation therapy and some days I just have zero energy, but it's still important for all of us to eat well.  If we can just heat something in toaster oven or crockpot, we'll be fed w/o putting forth a big effort.

Last week we made meatballs, a batch of seasoned ground beef (Mexican) and another for breakfast sausage.  Next week I'd like to make "egg muffins"-like a crustless quiche baked in muffin tins and also cranberry orange muffins (cranberry supports kidney function and my kidneys are in overdrive during therapy).  

I buy 5 pound blocks of cheddar and shred 3-4, and slice/cube the rest.  That way we can make nachos and quesadillas easily and my 6 year old can get slices to make sandwiches.  We have lots of fresh produce available too.

We made beef back ribs today and there's enough left to have a couple of lunches this week, plus use the bones for beef broth.  

I want to make chicken enchilada casseroles to freeze.  I love putting a roast in the crockpot and that night we eat roast beef and veggies and then I shred the leftovers for soup or sandwiches.  I made some excellent French onion soup from leftover beef last week.  You can add BBQ sauce for sandwiches too.

You could make pizza crust, flatten and freeze to have quick access to homemade pizza.  Soak and cook a large batch of beans to use later. 

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I make double batches of Meatballs for spaghetti and meatballs , then freeze what is left for  meatball subs another time, Chili is dinner one night then chili dogs or chili burgers, chili fries.. later , Whole chickens are often cheaper than cut up per pound bake 2 or more shred the left overs make chicken chili , chicken quesadillas, chicken tacos, chicken salad .. We make the breakfast burritos and freeze for a quick breakfast , sausage, egg and cheese biscuits, bran muffins, zucchini muffins, carrot cake muffins , pineapple upside muffins. We use big sirloins cut them into thin steaks for steak salads, steak sandwiches, steak bagels . Whole pork butts , cook in the crock pot shred make pulled pork bbq with some  then save some with out sauce and we make them  in  to pot stickers with some cabbage and dough.

aenima49
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I do it for neary everything!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)