With college football getting in full swing I though I'd post a recipe that's great for tailgating. We don't eat salami so I leave that off but we love these sandwiches.
Tailgate Tip: Prepare sandwiches the day before the game. Place in zip-top plastic freezer bags, and refrigerate overnight.
Southern Living SEPTEMBER 2011
- Yield: Makes 12 appetizer servings
- Hands-on:25 Minutes
- Total:25 Minutes
- 2 (16-oz.) jars mixed pickled vegetables
- 3/4 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bottled olive oil-and-vinegar dressing
- 12 small dinner rolls, cut in half
- 6 Swiss cheese slices, cut in half
- 12 thin deli ham slices
- 12 Genoa salami slices
- 6 provolone cheese slices, cut in half
1. Pulse pickled vegetables in food processor 8 to 10 times or until finely chopped. Stir in olives and dressing.
2. Spread 1 heaping tablespoonful pickled vegetable mixture over cut side of each roll bottom. Top each with 1 Swiss cheese slice half, 1 ham slice, 1 salami slice, 1 provolone cheese slice half, and roll tops. Cover with plastic wrap. Serve immediately, or chill until ready to serve.
Note: We tested with Mezzetta Italian Mix Giardiniera pickled vegetables and Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing.