Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using Beans and lentils

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM
  • 10 Replies
Months ago, I bought a bag of 16 bean soup and a bag of lentils. Dh and I like bean meals, I just have no idea how to use them. Id like to replace meat with beans more if I can too.
Do I just make the 16 bean soup (in a bag) like pinto beans????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aenima49
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Are they dried?  I'm no good w/dried beans.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM

You can, but I prefer them prepared as soup. Here's a simple recipe.

16 Bean soup

1 pound dried bean mix
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
1 can (15 ounce) l tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 cups water

Soak and drain beans. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Here's another

16 Bean Soup
1 16 oz package of 16 bean soup mix (throw away the flavor packet)
2 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of cumin
1 onion chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
3 pieces of bacon chopped
2 quarts Chicken broth

Pour the beans in a pot and fill with water until it covers the beans by an inch. Let them soak overnight.  Strain and rinse the beans. In a dutch oven or soup pot put 1 tbsp olive oil in the bottom and cook the bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and add chopped onion and garlic. Saute until translucent and then add the beans back in with the chicken broth and spices. Bring to a boil and the add the tomato paste. Lower the heat to medium and  cook for 2-3 hours on medium heat until the beans soften and the soup thickens.

jessicasmom1
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 7:41 AM

sorry I don't use beans much 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Quoting jessicasmom1:

sorry I don't use beans much 

Yep.  I don't use them at all.

BabyBearsMom608
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM
thanks so much ! this sounds great ,exactly what I was looking for!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Here's another

16 Bean Soup
2 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of cumin
1 onion chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 quarts Chicken broth

Pour the beans in a pot and fill with water until it covers the beans by an inch. Let them soak overnight.  Strain and rinse the beans. In a dutch oven or soup pot put 1 tbsp olive oil in the bottom and cook the bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and add chopped onion and garlic. Saute until translucent and then add the beans back in with the chicken broth and spices. Bring to a boil and the add the tomato paste. Lower the heat to medium and  cook for 2-3 hours on medium heat until the beans soften and the soup thickens.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyBearsMom608
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM
thanks so much ! this sounds great ,exactly what I was looking for!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Here's another

16 Bean Soup
2 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of cumin
1 onion chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 quarts Chicken broth

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM

If I buy the 16 bean bag of beans I make into a soup.  I'm at work and don't have the recipe but I flavor it with ham and add some other seasoning, chopped onion, and sliced carrot.

4kidz916
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I also use black beans in place of meat in several dishes.  I like black bean burgers and we make vegetarian sloppy joes using black beans. 

4kidz916
by Melissa on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's the recipe for the Sloppy Joes:

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes

Click here to find out more!Serve mixture over split and toasted whole-grain rolls or English muffins.

Ingredients
Serves:   Prep: 5min Cook: 18min Total: 23min
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and pepper, and saute until the vegetables are softened.
  2. Add the beans, tomato sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, cumin, paprika, and salt. Simmer for 15 minutes to blend the flavors.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)