Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hash browns in waffle iron

Posted by   + Show Post

What a great idea. It makes them extra crispy. And it couldn't be easier.

Crispy Hash Brown Waffles

Potatoes

Salt

Pepper

Butter

Wash and peel the potatoes. Shred them and squeeze them dry with a towel. (This ensures that your potatoes brown nicely.)

In a mixing bowl, add the potatoes, followed by salt and pepper to taste.

Spread about a teaspoon of butter on the waffle iron.  Pile the shredded potatoes into the waffle iron and close the lid.

After a few minutes, you may wish to squeeze down the lid a bit. Check the potatoes after 10 minutes. In my waffle iron on the medium heat setting, the potatoes showed golden-brown highlights after about 15 minutes. But yours will vary, possibly by quite a bit.

Carefully remove the potatoes from the waffle iron.

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Replies (11-15):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I think you could also do it in a griddler or George Forman grill or pannini press, if you have any of those.

Quoting 4kidz916:

That's so neat.  Now I just need a waffle iron.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Previous photo was from grating fresh potatoes. This one was using packaged frozen  hash browns.    

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Luci, I've got a question:  what's the best way to clean the waffle iron after making these?  My kids LOVE to make hash browns this way, but it's a PAIN to clean the leftover bits and butter from the waffle iron afterward.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I didn't have a problem with the fresh potatoes, they seemed to mush together more. With the packaged frozen ones, I did have some little pieces sticking. I just let it cool down and used a paper towel to clean it, and then washed it as usual. With a bigger family, I'm thinking you're making several in rotation. Maybe a wooden spoon would work and not damage the finish.  Do you usually use oil for waffles? That might work better. I'm planning on trying that next time.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Luci, I've got a question:  what's the best way to clean the waffle iron after making these?  My kids LOVE to make hash browns this way, but it's a PAIN to clean the leftover bits and butter from the waffle iron afterward.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:55 AM

We use butter, but the iron is non-stick and doesn't really need oil.  Maybe I'll brush it with coconut oil next time.   I've been using a pastry brush to clean the little pieces out. 

Quoting SweetLuci:

I didn't have a problem with the fresh potatoes, they seemed to mush together more. With the packaged frozen ones, I did have some little pieces sticking. I just let it cool down and used a paper towel to clean it, and then washed it as usual. With a bigger family, I'm thinking you're making several in rotation. Maybe a wooden spoon would work and not damage the finish.  Do you usually use oil for waffles? That might work better. I'm planning on trying that next time.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Rhonda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)