Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

How do you store your Recipes?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok I know that I am posting alot of questions, but being new here and trying to get it all together...or at least more together than it is now......

How do you all keep track of and store your recipes? I have some in an old photo album but they keep falling out...I was thinking of putting them on cards and then getting like a closeable plastic box with a lid and sort them by main ingrediant? I am trying to get organized and yet still have it be a useable option..

I am also trying to create a new weekly planner for the fridge and dont know if i should be looking to just stick the card with the day on the fridge or???

Wow guess that is alot of questions in one...Sorry but for someone that is just starting out..I am truely wondering arround lost....    confusedthank you all for your help

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Replies (11-18):
Kelly913
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Lots of good info here!  And don't hesitate to ask questions, that's why we're all here!

I have been using EverNote for my recipes for close to a year now (thanks Andrea for cluing me in to this app!).  I can take my Nook into the kitchen and have the recipe right there.  Before that, I had to print each one and then they just got piled up.  I tried putting them in a 3 ring binder, sorted alphabetically by recipe name (or what I'd call it).  I still have a bunch of those, but I don't refer to it.  There's also http://www.recipent.com/ where you can save any recipe you find online. 

aenima49
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Binders with dividers & page protectors!  Had so many I had to split main dishes & other.

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM

We love questions here. I've been collection recipes a long time, so I've used lots of different methods. Recipes on index cards in a file. In photo albums. Mainly now I've been transferring them to word documents and storing them on the computer. All work fine. 

For my week's menu, I type it on the computer, then print it and put it on the side of the refrigerator. That way I can see it, and so can the rest of the family. 

4kidz916
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I have an old fashioned recipe box, a recipe file, and I keep some on my computer.  I really need to get them better organized. 

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Most of the cookbooks that I own have space for adding recipes and notes. That's the best place that I have found to keep recipes that I really like and use more than once. Instead of keeping a kitchen drawer full of back of the box recipes, I bought the Brand Name cookbooks. I have learned to walk past the recipe freebie cards at the grocery store without taking them.

For the basic recipe for a given small appliance, I keep it in the small appliance. If I buy a specialty spice for one recipe, I wrap the recipe around the spice container and secure it with a rubber band.

I use a holiday meal planner and not only attach the recipes but the schedule for shopping and activities, etc.

My mom and aunts have recipes that are so outdated ... they need to toss them. I know that I do.

AdriaD
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:19 AM

My recipes are all over - some in a file on my computer, some on the 'net, some in books, some in a recipe box, and some I've written or taped into spiral notebooks.  What I do have is an index book to help me keep track of where all these favorites are!  I bought a composition book and divided it, adding tabs to pages for the way I cook: ground beef, other meats, poultry, seafood, side dishes, etc., etc.  Then I list the name of the recipe, the place it is located, and the page if there is one.  When I go to make our week's menu list, I pull that index out to help.

My menu goes on the fridge, and I just add to it as I go.  I only do menu planning for suppers, unless we're having lunch company.

karone04
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:20 AM

When I have my computer (dh is using it for school right now) I put them into a program called Gourmet Recipe Manager. I love that I can import most websites, Meal Master and Mastercook files. On Fedora (Linux OS) I can export in PDF format. Until I get my computer back I just type the recipes into a email and then email them to myself to put in later. I have 2 small baskets full of cookbooks and magazines, a binder full and a few cookbooks that are beside the couch that I need to take apart.

1smartcookie
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I have the traditional recipe box and also a recipe card binder. But I keep most of them stored electronically, either in my e-mail or on Pinterest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN