Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Bacon Is Disappearing Fast -- Could You Live Without It?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM
  • 21 Replies

Bacon Is Disappearing Fast -- Could You Live Without It?

Posted by Adriana Velez on September 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM

baconImagine a world without bacon. That is the bleak reality pork producers want to alert you to. Bacon. It could disappear from our plates, leaving behind only the haunting scent of fried breakfasts past.

The U.K.'s National Pig Association is warning of a pork shortage of global proportions. They say a "world shortage of pork and bacon next year is now unavoidable." OMG, NO! It can't be. Is this really true? And if so, can't someone DO something? Where is Super Pig when we need him?

Okay, let's see if these shortage fears are real. The NPA mentions droughts all over the world but especially in the US and Russia, leading to rising costs of pig feed, which in turn has led to at least one farmer feeding his pigs candy. That much is true -- including the crazy one about feeding pigs candy. Someone actually did that.

I don't know ... kind of sounds like pork is just going to get more expensive. I mean, is it really a "shortage" when we run out of a food we don't really need to eat, like bacon? Has anyone ever died from not eating enough pork chops?

But let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt. Let's imagine a world without bacon. What other meaty, crunchy treat would you eat at brunch? Would your Bloody Mary be lonely? What would become of cobb salads and BLTs? Whole menus would have to change. Millions might convert to vegetarianism. KEVIN BACON MIGHT STOP DANCING.

Okay, fine. You convinced me. This really is a global crisis we need to worry about. Start stockpiling bacon. Alert the UN and call in the Pigs From Space!

Could you live without bacon?

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kelly913
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM
I could but wouldn't choose to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4000
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I could live without it. I don't buy or cook it that often anyway. I buy it maybe once or twice a year, and I always end up having to use it before it goes bad because I forget that I've bought it.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Might have to use a map on a road trip since you will not be driving past mile stones like stinky pig farms.

Vegans say that people who eat pork have body odor. This could have an impact on deodorant too.  

Boo-hoo ... a shortage of footballs - pigskins.

andrea96
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

We eat a lot of bacon and sausage, so I wouldn't be happy about it. We don't eat too much of other pork products, so I wouldn't miss those very much.

jessicasmom1
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM

we sure do like it so not too sure about this good thing I have some from our pig frozen

DOllfACE-
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM
I don't eat pork so I'm good lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I could live without it.

Maybe they should look into Michigan's DNR, the ones that are working to eradicate every pig breed in Michigan but the whites.  One farmer had to destroy over 80 pigs....that's a lotta bacon!

As for the grain part, it's not necessary.  Pigs eat almost anything and will survive just fine if allowed to pasture.

poptart0325
by Kayla on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM
We eat turkey bacon all the time. I haven't eaten pork bacon in a long time and can do without it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyGiftsFromGod
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
We love pork in many forms, so I hope none of it is true. I always feel like things like this are just a ploy to raise prices on us. I can be such a skeptic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Melissa on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM

My daughter saw that on the news this morning and was upset.  She loves bacon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)