Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

I FINALLY found a local farm that sells grass fed beef. Soooo, before I call to reserve a side, what should I know? What types of cuts do you all normally get? I've never gone down this route before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Replies (11-18):
Kelly913
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Some people have issues with the flavor and/or lack of marbling, but our steer is the juiciest, most tender and flavorful beef I've ever had! Maybe they will have samples or small pkgs you could buy while you're there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aenima49
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I want to do this too!

lillucky8
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
August07Mom
by Tiesha on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I don't know if I could stomach the heart and liver!

Quoting michiganmom116:

You'll get different cuts of roast, a variety of steaks, ground beef, and soup bones.  You should be able to talk to the butcher about package sizes.  Get the heart and liver if you can....they're some of the healthiest/richest in nutrients parts of the beef.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Liver maybe not, but the heart is just ultra lean muscle meat, same as the rest of the cuts in texture and taste...plus it's got CoQ10!  (very good for you)  I cooked mine in the crockpot like a roast.  Hint:  have the butcher clean it for you/remove the membranes.

Quoting August07Mom:

Quoting michiganmom116:

You'll get different cuts of roast, a variety of steaks, ground beef, and soup bones.  You should be able to talk to the butcher about package sizes.  Get the heart and liver if you can....they're some of the healthiest/richest in nutrients parts of the beef.

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My dad and stepmom raised cattle for slaughtering for a couple years (I wish they still did, but they don't have the time anymore). We have eaten some their beef, and loved it. So much more tender and flavorful than the beef you buy at the store. So we don't have an issue with the flavoring at all.

Quoting Kelly913:

Some people have issues with the flavor and/or lack of marbling, but our steer is the juiciest, most tender and flavorful beef I've ever had! Maybe they will have samples or small pkgs you could buy while you're there.

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thanks! We'll try it out.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Liver maybe not, but the heart is just ultra lean muscle meat, same as the rest of the cuts in texture and taste...plus it's got CoQ10!  (very good for you)  I cooked mine in the crockpot like a roast.  Hint:  have the butcher clean it for you/remove the membranes.

Quoting August07Mom:

Quoting michiganmom116:

SweetLuci
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Talk to them where you're buying it. They can package it depending o the size of your family, and can give you a breakdown on how many lbs. of steaks, roasts, ground beef, etc. They'll usually work with you.  Ask if they'll let you buy a sample.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)