Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

HELP! pumpkin cake?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

My stepsons birthday is Sunday and when asked what kind of cake he would like he answered with A "Pumpkin cake with creemecheese frosting" or a pumpkin cake with a pumpkincheese cake on top with a nother pumkin cake ontop of that covered in creamcheese... *headdesk* the kid likes pumpkin!
My only issue is... I suck ( And i mean REALLY SUCK) at baking. any recipes you can recomend? its the ONLY cake he wants *insert his big puppydog eyes here*

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Wanna know what's neat?  bake the cake in a bundt pan and add an ice cream cone for a stem, frost it to look like a pumpkin!

Like this:  http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/recipes/desserts/cakes-cupcakes-trifles/R100618.html

Pumpkin Shaped Vanilla Bundt Cake

Here's a yummy sounding recipe:    http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/pumpkin-cake-o-lantern-685767/

and here's a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake, in case you decide to make both:  http://www.food.com/recipe/the-cheesecake-factory-pumpkin-cheesecake-46780

Rhonda

4kidz916
by Melissa on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I was also going to suggest making it look like a pumpkin.  

WickedMellogal
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM
I wish i had a bundt pan now. He is going to be *gasps* 14... so that may be just a tad too cutesy for him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Since you really suck at baking, this recipe might work for you.

1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 16oz can pumpkin pie mix (divide in half if you want some in the frosting)
1 can cream cheese frosting
(water see below)
1 9x13 baking pan (spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray)

Mix eggs, oil, and pumpkin pie mix. (I use a wire whisk or fork). Mix in about of the cake mix. If the batter starts to get dry & lumpy, add 1/3 cup water. Add the rest of the cake mix and 1/3 cup more water. If the batter is smooth but very thick, add another 1/3 cup water and stir. (The cake mix usually calls for 4-1/3 cups water but with the pumpkin, you may not need all of it.) 

Pour batter in baking pan and bake 350F for about 40 min. Sometimes these cakes with the add-ins like pumpkin take a little longer.

Jello sells a pumpkin pie pudding mix around this season. Look for it first. If you cannot find it, use vanilla or cheesecake instant pudding and some pumpkin pie spice. Mix the pudding with 2 cups milk and 1/2 tsp of the spice - you can add more if you like. Use a birthday candle and poke 16 holes in the top of the cake. Pour the pudding over the top of the cake - just  poke more holes to get most of the pudding into the cake.

Lastly frost your birthday cake with the cream cheese frosting or fosting mixed with the pumpkin pie mix.

Happy Birthday!

Also - you can make pumpkin shakes with pumpkin pie mix & vanilla ice cream.  Enjoy.

Kelly913
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM
I'm mobile right now but have seen some recipes that sound fabulous! I'll try posting in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM

If he's a pumpkon fanatic, he might like these for breakfast.  

Amish Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Icing
Amish Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Icing
Makes 12 rolls. Recipe from RecipeGirl.
Ingredients:
For Dough:
1/3 cup milk or soymilk
2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin or mashed cooked pumpkin
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
For Filling:
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbs melted butter
For Icing:
1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tbs milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
Directions:
Prepare rolls: In a small saucepan, heat milk and 2 Tbsp. butter just until warm (120 - 130°) and butter is almost melted, stirring constantly.
In large mixer bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar and salt. Add milk mixture and beat with an electric mixer until well mixed. Beat in egg and yeast. In a separate mixing bowl, combine flours. Add half of flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Beat mixture on low speed for 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl frequently. Add remaining flour and mix thoroughly (dough will be very soft). Turn into lightly greased bowl, then grease surface of dough lightly. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Turn onto floured surface. Knead a few turns to form a smooth dough, sprinkling with enough additional flour to make dough easy to handle. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12x10-inch rectangle.
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush surface of dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture. Beginning with long side of dough, roll up jelly-roll style. Pinch seam to seal. With a sharp serrated knife, gently cut roll into twelve 1-inch slices. Place rolls cut-side-up in greased 9-inch-square baking pan. (At this point the rolls can be covered and refrigerated overnight if necessary).
Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls about 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove from pan to waxed paper-lined wire rack. Cool 10 to 15 minutes.
While rolls are cooling, prepare icing: In small saucepan, heat butter until melted. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and cool mixture slightly. Stir in vanilla, salt and powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended. If necessary, add more powdered sugar for desired consistency.
Drizzle icing over warm rolls.

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM

That is really easy!!  Spice cake mix with canned pumpkin.  http://noshmyway.com/2012/10/02/ingredient-cakespice-cake-pumpkin-puree/  Make homemade cream cheese frosting with cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter!  It is easy and tastes way better than the canned frosting.  I made pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for my daughter's birthday for her class a couple years ago and they were a hit!

WickedMellogal
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Thank you all! He has decided he wants to bake with me... and he has informed me that "he does NOT suck at baking! so it will turn out great!"  *smh*

I will post the outcome!

jessicasmom1
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)