Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Guys Banned From All-You-Can Eat Buffet for ... Well ... Eating All They Could Eat

Posted by   + Show Post

Guys Banned From All-You-Can Eat Buffet for ... Well ... Eating All They Could Eat

Posted by Adriana Velez on October 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

buffetCall me crazy, but I always believed the whole point of an all-you-can-eat buffet was pigging out. It's about stuffing your gaping maw with as much food as you possibly can while paying the least amount possible. And if you're some of my relatives, that includes wrapping some of that food in napkins and carrying it home in your handbag. Yes, I come from very fancy people.

Anyway, I guess George Dalmon and Andy Milkes love their all-you-can-eat buffet too much. They've been banned from the Mongolian barbecue restaurant Gobi. "Basically they just come in and pig out," complained the restaurant manager, who is shocked, SHOCKED! that anyone would DO such a thing at an all-you-can-eat buffet. Oh noes, a gross case of Buffet Abuse! Somebody stop these two hogs.

Can you really ban someone from an all-you-can eat buffet? Yes! You! Can! The manager says, "We are not a charity, we're a business. It's our restaurant and we can tell people not to come back if we don't want them to." Well then! I guess they'd better stop giving George and Andy so much free food, then. Oh wait -- but George and Andy aren't getting free food. They're paying the same price everyone else does for the buffet meal.

They're not even eating that much. The restaurant claims they each stuff themselves with about five bowls of food. Well, okay, that is gross. That's way more than any non-Olympic human needs to eat at one meal. But it's not like they're eating away the whole restaurant. I'm sure there's still a few drumsticks and snow peas lying around at the buffet after they finish.

Look, if you're in the all-you-can-eat business, you're in the pig-out business. Otherwise, call your establishment something else, like Gobi Barbecue Buffet of Moderation for People Who Only Eat One Cup of Food Per Meal. But don't penalize these two brave customers for testing the boundaries of the all-you-can-eat buffet. For they are the real heroes.

Click HERE to see video.

Do you think there should be limits for all-you-can-eat buffets?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
aenima49
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I guess I mean, I can go somewhere else, pay the same & take the leftovers home, so I don't feel like I getmy "money's worth" from a buffet.

Bmat
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been to buffets that say All You Care to Eat, then they also say:  Take what you want, but eat what you take.

Bmat
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I love taking leftovers home. It means I have an extra meal and don't even have to cook it. :)

Quoting aenima49:

I guess I mean, I can go somewhere else, pay the same & take the leftovers home, so I don't feel like I getmy "money's worth" from a buffet.

Bmat
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM

My dad liked to eat and eat at buffets, but my husband takes tiny portions of maybe three things and calls it a meal.

Kelly913
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I'll take the opposite stance.  As owners of a private business they do have the right to do whatever they want in that regard.  I was expecting that they ate like 10 plates of food or something though, based on getting kicked out for eating too much.

I've owned restaurants and offered all you can eat buffets.  Most people don't abuse it, but we did have a few people that would eat just the expensive stuff so when they arrived we simply stopped putting as much of the expensive items out.  They got the hint and didn't come back. 

chrissysnow22
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM
That Makes no sense. My dad would have put them out of business. I never eat my monies worth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM
3 moms liked this

There's more to the story than is reported here. From what I understand, they were coming in several times a week, and doing this for 2 years, and finally the restaurant couldn't absorb the cost anymore without raising prices, and they made a decision not to penalize their other customers, but to ask these men to not come in again. What they did is different from someone coming in and pigging out, it averages out with those who don't eat much. In the state where I live, a restaurant can refuse service to anyone, as long as it is not because of race, color or creed.  I once was involved with a restaurant that had an All U Can Eat Buffet for a very low price. One week 4 huge men came in and piled their plates with only meat and basically had an eating contest. They came in several nights in a row doing the same thing. The owner didn't know what to do, and then one night a little old lady told them they were pigs. They didn't come in anymore.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I HAVE heard of some restaurants putting a limit on these types of buffets, though.

One buffet that we went to gave out a meal ticket for expensive things like steak, rib roast, smoked ham, etc. Maybe these buffets should give out tokens & have servers.

Kelly913
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Thanks for the "rest of the story". I thought there might be since cm writers tend to aim for drama. Sounds like the owners made a wise choice.

Quoting SweetLuci:

There's more to the story than is reported here. From what I understand, they were coming in several times a week, and doing this for 2 years, and finally the restaurant couldn't absorb the cost anymore without raising prices, and they made a decision not to penalize their other customers, but to ask these men to not come in again. What they did is different from someone coming in and pigging out, it averages out with those who don't eat much. In the state where I live, a restaurant can refuse service to anyone, as long as it is not because of race, color or creed.  I once was involved with a restaurant that had an All U Can Eat Buffet for a very low price. One week 4 huge men came in and piled their plates with only meat and basically had an eating contest. They came in several nights in a row doing the same thing. The owner didn't know what to do, and then one night a little old lady told them they were pigs. They didn't come in anymore.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Nope. All you can eat should mean all you can eat. If they want to limit it they should put it in writing, or call it the sald bar or something and you can have two trips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)