Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Help need recipe

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am making chile for my church function next unsay and was wondering if anyone has any good recipes for me ty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Add this to your favorite chili (meat, beans/no beans/ tomatoes/tomato juice/etc.)

Chili seasoning (mild):

2 Tbsp. instant minced onion

1 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. chili powder

1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. seasoned salt

1/2 tsp. crushed dried red pepper

1/2 tsp. instant minced garlic

1/2 tsp. sugar

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I will attest to the fact that this one is spicy HOT (for me)!  The name definitely fits!  It's a thick, hearty chili.

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 tsp. minced garlic)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 2 cans Rotel tomatoes with chilies, undrained
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 cup tomato or vegetable juice
  • 2 cans kidney beans, undrained (optional)

Brown meat in large pot with onion.  Add rest of ingredients and stir well; bring to a boil.  Simmer 1/2 hr uncovered then 1 1/2 hrs. covered.  Serve.

Note:  if it's too thick for your tastes, add more tomato or vegetable juice.

Kelly913
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I must not be fully functioning today!  I read the spices to see what made it hot and only saw the 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne and was going to guess you don't like spicy very much, cuz that's less than I use just to give it flavor.  Totally missed the 2 tablespoons of chili powder until the quote part filled in.  That'd be fairly spicy!  I'd use about 5 times the cumin personally, just because I like it so much.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I will attest to the fact that this one is spicy HOT (for me)!  The name definitely fits!  It's a thick, hearty chili.

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Brown meat in large pot with onion.  Add rest of ingredients and stir well; bring to a boil.  Simmer 1/2 hr uncovered then 1 1/2 hrs. covered.  Serve.

Kelly913
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I'm not much help when it comes to recipes.  I was born with the "wing it" gene for cooking.  I toss in what looks/tastes good and adapt from there.  However, Rhonda's recipes look great!

I love to top mine with shredded cheese, sour cream and finely chopped onions. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The Rotel with chilies adds quite a bit of heat, too.  I personally don't find chili powder to be all that hot.

Quoting Kelly913:

I must not be fully functioning today!  I read the spices to see what made it hot and only saw the 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne and was going to guess you don't like spicy very much, cuz that's less than I use just to give it flavor.  Totally missed the 2 tablespoons of chili powder until the quote part filled in.  That'd be fairly spicy!  I'd use about 5 times the cumin personally, just because I like it so much.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Rhonda

kkrk1012
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

thank you and thank you especially for the chili seasoning. i didn't get the cooking gene nor recipes. lol my moms form of cooking was kfc and mcdonalds lol.. so i try to gather up as much of recipes i can. lol thank you again. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

The Rotel with chilies adds quite a bit of heat, too.  I personally don't find chili powder to be all that hot.

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

You're very welcome!

I'm fortunate.  My parents both cooked basic meals and taught me how to cook; I've taken it from there and have an immense amount of recipes that I've tried and use with my own family. 

Quoting kkrk1012:

thank you and thank you especially for the chili seasoning. i didn't get the cooking gene nor recipes. lol my moms form of cooking was kfc and mcdonalds lol.. so i try to gather up as much of recipes i can. lol thank you again. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Rhonda

Kelly913
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I keep forgetting to see if Rotel is available here locally.  I've never seen it and only heard of it thru this group.  What kind of chilies are in it?  Green chilies usually aren't hot.  I know what you mean about the chili powder-but in that quantity it tends to build up-at least I think so.  A few bites aren't hot, but it adds on with each bite and leaves the mouth quite warm. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Kelly913
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM

You'll find LOTS of recipes and help here.  Check the recipe forum and the daily what's for dinner, and the weekly meal plans.  If you see something you want to try and there's no recipe posted, just ask the person and she'll probably share the recipe or how to. 

Quoting kkrk1012:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:49 PM

There are a variety of "heats" with the Rotel.  I made and canned some of my own last year using jalapenos, and it was good...not as hot as I'd hoped, but good.

Quoting Kelly913:

I keep forgetting to see if Rotel is available here locally.  I've never seen it and only heard of it thru this group.  What kind of chilies are in it?  Green chilies usually aren't hot.  I know what you mean about the chili powder-but in that quantity it tends to build up-at least I think so.  A few bites aren't hot, but it adds on with each bite and leaves the mouth quite warm. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Firehouse Chili

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Rhonda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)