Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Fall Harvest Grilled Cheese

Posted by   + Show Post

Fall Harvest Grilled Cheese

1/4 cup finely diced Granny Smith apple
1 Tablespoon finely diced pecans
1 Tablespoon diced dried cranberries
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon sour cream
8 slices Swiss cheese
8 slices sourdough bread, or other firm bread
4 thick slices ham
1/4 cup butter, softened

Stir together the apple, pecans, mayonnaise and sour cream; set aside. Heat grill or large skillet over medium-high heat. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place bread, butter side down on grill or skillet, Place a slice of cheese onto all of the bread slices, the add the ham on 4 slices. Cook over until the bread is golden brown on the underside and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes per side. Spread the apple mixture onto the slices with cheese only. Top with the slices with the ham. Serve

This jazzed up grilled ham & cheese makes a great lunch, anytime of the year. I've also made them with Cheddar, or Havarti or Munster cheese. All are good.

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Replies (21-21):
Kelly913
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

After looking at the amounts again I can't see where 1T for 4 sandwhiches would make much difference either way.  I'll let ya know after trying it.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Drying fruit always concentrates the natural sugar, so it's not really as tart as fresh or frozen raw would be. I don't believe most people would like it, but if you like tart, then do go ahead and try it. It would probably suit you just fine.

Quoting Kelly913:

I can't see where they'd be any more tart than dried, unless the dried have sugar added.  If that's the case, it still wouldn't work because I don't buy dried fruit with sugar added.  I figured since it had cranberries in it that it was supposed to be tart. 

Quoting SweetLuci:

I think they would be very tart. I've always had to add sugar to raw cranberries.

Quoting Kelly913:

I know it says finely diced on the apples, nuts and cranberries and I'm guessing they really need to be small to keep it from falling out of the sandwich.  

I have frozen cranberries, no dried ones.  Do you suppose as long as they were well drained after thawing it'd work? 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)