Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Apple Oatmeal Crisp

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I made this tonight with a few variations and we loved it!  I'll explain my changes at the end.

COOKS.COM RECIPE SEARCH ENGINE
APPLE-OATMEAL CRISP
Printed from COOKS.COM

1 1/2 lbs. apples (4)
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. flour

Arrange apples in casserole (sliced). Melt butter; add sugar, oatmeal, flour, cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

I didn't weigh my apples.  I had 3 in the house and that's what I used.  I used 1/2 cup of evaporated cane juice in place of the brown sugar and it was plenty sweet.  I didn't measure the cinnamon because we love it and I just add what looks good.  I also added 1 cup of frozen cranberries that I let sit in warm water for a bit, and then when the butter was melted I drained them and let them simmer with the butter and sugar for a while.  As I mixed everything together I added about 1/3 cup of raisins.  The mixture wasn't crumbly, but the dessert was delicious!

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
August07Mom
by Tiesha on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

That sounds really good.

andrea96
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Thanks!

rebeccan3
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Yum - - that sounds really good.  TFS  : )

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Apple crisp is so good.

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Thanks for sharing we like apple crisp

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Quoting Kelly913:

APPLE-OATMEAL CRISP
Printed from COOKS.COM

1 1/2 lbs. apples (4)
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. flour

Arrange apples in casserole (sliced). Melt butter; add sugar, oatmeal, flour, cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Firstly, I'm glad that your recipe worked out. It's been my experience that brown sugar has a unique flavor that is sweet but brown sugar is not a sweetener. I would say that the apple part of this recipe is missing some ingredients like white sugar to make the apples juicy & sweet and some cornstarch or flour to make that juicy thickened. Some cloves, ginger, cinnamon, & a scant of nutmeg would be good too.  

Just soos you know. I have made cinnamon oatmeal & topped it with fresh cubed apples then baked with this topping. Not so good ... too much steam from the oatmeal and the topping is hard.

Cafe Beth or Cafe somebody posted some apple crisp recipes around Thanksgiving. I made the one with apples & cranberries. It also made 2x the topping. The apples & cranberries were great but the extra topping was a bit bland.

Kelly913
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I didn't use brown sugar.  Haven't used brown sugar in a recipe for about 3 years now.  Any recipe calling for sugar gets evaporated cane juice, as noted in my explanation of how I altered the recipe.  I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that brown sugar is not a sweetener?

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kelly913:

APPLE-OATMEAL CRISP
Printed from COOKS.COM

1 1/2 lbs. apples (4)
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. flour

Firstly, I'm glad that your recipe worked out. It's been my experience that brown sugar has a unique flavor that is sweet but brown sugar is not a sweetener. I would say that the apple part of this recipe is missing some ingredients like white sugar to make the apples juicy & sweet and some cornstarch or flour to make that juicy thickened. Some cloves, ginger, cinnamon, & a scant of nutmeg would be good too.  

Just soos you know. I have made cinnamon oatmeal & topped it with fresh cubed apples then baked with this topping. Not so good ... too much steam from the oatmeal and the topping is hard.

Cafe Beth or Cafe somebody posted some apple crisp recipes around Thanksgiving. I made the one with apples & cranberries. It also made 2x the topping. The apples & cranberries were great but the extra topping was a bit bland.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)