Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

What are your favorite Thanksgiving desserts? I'm baking a pecan pie, but if my niece comes, I have to make something else, too, because she's allergic to nuts. I can't decide what else I want to make, but it needs to be kid-friendly.

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
4kidz916
by Melissa on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:20 AM

My favorite is pumpkin pie.  We always have pumpkin pie, apple pie, mincemeat pie, and sometimes I make a pumpkin cheesecake.

andrea96
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm making pumpkin and cherry pies along with a gingerbread pumpkin trifle this year. 

In the past, I made a cranberry swirl cheesecake that I really liked.  Pumpkin cheesecake is great, too!

I love cherry pie, but most of the kids wouldn't eat it last year. Can I have the recipe for the trifle? My kids love these pumpkin cheesecake tarts I make, but I'll probably make them for Thanksgiving Saturday.

andrea96
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Quoting Kelly913:

The apple oatmeal crisp recipe I posted in recipes is pretty good-and kid friendly. 

I'll go look for it. Thanks!

andrea96
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Quoting aenima49:

I do pumpkin pie.  Just be very cautious with cross contamination.  Can she be in the room when others are eating Pecan pie?

Being in the same room has never seemed to be a problem. I served pecan pie last year, too, and she was fine. Her main allergy is to peanuts; I think her tree nut allergy isn't as severe.

andrea96
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

My favorite is sweet potato pie, but a trifle would be good as well.

I do have a trifle dish that I have never used.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I posted it in the Recipes forum 2 to 3 weeks ago. 

Quoting andrea96:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm making pumpkin and cherry pies along with a gingerbread pumpkin trifle this year. 

In the past, I made a cranberry swirl cheesecake that I really liked.  Pumpkin cheesecake is great, too!

I love cherry pie, but most of the kids wouldn't eat it last year. Can I have the recipe for the trifle? My kids love these pumpkin cheesecake tarts I make, but I'll probably make them for Thanksgiving Saturday.

AjCeCeMom
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM
My daughter has dairy and gluten allergies so we are doing a chocolate tofu pie ina gluten free crust. My favorite is cranberry cheesecake though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andrea96
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL! I saw it then. I just forgot about it. Thanks!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I posted it in the Recipes forum 2 to 3 weeks ago. 

Quoting andrea96:

Quoting michiganmom116:

SweetLuci
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM

This is fun to make and kids like it, too. 

Caramel Apple Cake

Shaped like a caramel apple, this fun dessert is sure to inspire oohing and ahhing at any fall gathering.
Cake
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Topping:
60 caramel candies
2 Tablespoons water
¾ cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
Waxed paper
1 large craft stick
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 1 ½ quart oven-safe bowls. (I used Pyrex) Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the remaining cake ingredients, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until well mixed. Pour the batter into the prepared bowls and bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the bowls for 10 minutes, then remove them from the bowls and set them inverted on wire racks to cool completely. Once
they have cooled, turn over the cakes and use a long knife to even their flat tops. To make the topping, place the caramel candies and water in a medium bowl and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir, then heat 30-45 seconds more until the mixture is smooth and forms a slow, thick ribbon when dropped from a spoon. Layer the cakes (flat sides together) using a few spoonfuls of the caramel to help hold them in place. Pour the remaining sauce over the cake. The caramel will run down the sides of the cake to cover it completely, or you can spread it with a knife while it’s still warm. Let the caramel set for about 20 minutes before pressing the walnuts onto the bottom half of the cake. Cover one half of the craft stick with waxed paper and insert the covered end into the top of the cake. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Serves 8.
Notes: I usually go by the doctor's office and ask for a tongue depressor to use as the stick-size-wise it looks better, but I didn't think of that in time, so I used 2 craft sticks. Make sure your caramel isn't too hot and runny when you put it on the cake or it will run all the way down to the plate, Try a spoonful first before doing the whole thing. It should just ooze down real slow. I didn't have 2 pyrex bowls exactly the same size and shape, so I used half the batter to bake one layer, put the remainder in the refrigerator, then when the first was baked and removed from the bowl, I baked the second.

andrea96
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

This is fun to make and kids like it, too. 

Caramel Apple Cake

Shaped like a caramel apple, this fun dessert is sure to inspire oohing and ahhing at any fall gathering.
Cake
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 ½ cups brown sugar
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Topping:
60 caramel candies
2 Tablespoons water
¾ cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
Waxed paper
1 large craft stick
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 1 ½ quart oven-safe bowls. (I used Pyrex) Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the remaining cake ingredients, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until well mixed. Pour the batter into the prepared bowls and bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the bowls for 10 minutes, then remove them from the bowls and set them inverted on wire racks to cool completely. Once
they have cooled, turn over the cakes and use a long knife to even their flat tops. To make the topping, place the caramel candies and water in a medium bowl and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir, then heat 30-45 seconds more until the mixture is smooth and forms a slow, thick ribbon when dropped from a spoon. Layer the cakes (flat sides together) using a few spoonfuls of the caramel to help hold them in place. Pour the remaining sauce over the cake. The caramel will run down the sides of the cake to cover it completely, or you can spread it with a knife while it’s still warm. Let the caramel set for about 20 minutes before pressing the walnuts onto the bottom half of the cake. Cover one half of the craft stick with waxed paper and insert the covered end into the top of the cake. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Serves 8.
Notes: I usually go by the doctor's office and ask for a tongue depressor to use as the stick-size-wise it looks better, but I didn't think of that in time, so I used 2 craft sticks. Make sure your caramel isn't too hot and runny when you put it on the cake or it will run all the way down to the plate, Try a spoonful first before doing the whole thing. It should just ooze down real slow. I didn't have 2 pyrex bowls exactly the same size and shape, so I used half the batter to bake one layer, put the remainder in the refrigerator, then when the first was baked and removed from the bowl, I baked the second.

Cute! I might try that, but use mini-chocolate chips instead of the nuts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)