Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best Turkey?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM
  • 15 Replies
A long time ago I made Thanksgiving dinner. It turned out pretty good and I chalk that up to beginners luck. I do remember the turkey was a Norbest Turkey with a tender timer and I haven't found one since.
What is your favorite brand of turkey?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Spartan or Butterball are our favorites!

aenima49
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I just get the one I get free with my grocery store points!

Bergysmom
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM
You both must be good cooks- I struggle with the art. I am surrounded by good cooks. Both of my sons, there wives, their families, my Mil was as was my sil and husband's dear gram daisy.
Kelly913
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Favorite brand would have to be Shelton.  They raise pastured birds without GMO feed.  Best turkey I ate was one we raised. 

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If you do not have any experience cooking turkey, you should go with a Butterball. Some brands have larger breast and are not suitable for stuffing. Some brands have large bones and need to be injected with seasonings/basting and not stuffed. If you are buying a brand that you are not familiar cooking, you should go with a 12 to 16 lb turkey. If you buy a 18 to 23 lb turkey & stuff it, you have to allow more cooking time or preferably use a cooking bag. If you buy a fresh turkey, you have more options of inspecting it before you buy.  

What is more confusing this year is the wording on the label. Young Tom, All Natural, Organic, and so on. Basically, according to the FDA, it means little to nothing and a lot for advertising.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bergysmom:

You both must be good cooks- I struggle with the art. I am surrounded by good cooks. Both of my sons, there wives, their families, my Mil was as was my sil and husband's dear gram daisy.

I found a tasty spice rub for turkey, and I roast mine in a Reynolds Oven Bag.  The bird stays very moist and is very tasty!

Turkey with Custer's Turkey Rub: this recipe comes from www.recipezaar.com, courtesy of Chef Shadows

Mix all ingredients together and rub UNDER and ON the turkey's skin. Bake as desired. I prefer to use an oven baking bag to keep the turkey moist.

scapermom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Past few years I've been ordering a fresh 22lb. turkey from a local farm through Whole Foods. This year Thanksgiving kind of crept up on me (what with having no power for 2 weeks after "Sandy" & all). So I missed the window of pre-ordering. So now I'll be shopping on I guess Monday for 2 fresh or frozen ? 10-12lb turkeys. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to be less picky with my brand. I haven't racked up enough points to get a free one, though now I wish I did...

mammapav
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Butterball

jessicasmom1
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM

we go to our local turkey farm http://www.poundsturkeyfarm.com/

far best turkey we found buy fresh.

Your rub sounds great Rhonda plus I rub butter all over the turkey then foil tent about 1 hour prior to the turkey being cooked

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bergysmom:

with a tender timer

You can buy a bag of those timers that pop up when the turkey reaches the internal done temp.

I have seen so many different meat thermometer test (test the dense part of the breast, test the thigh, test the stuffing, etc.)

I teasingly told dh that we could buy a bag and put them on each part of the turkey. Done when ALL timers pop! You could have one on each side of the breast and turn the turkey if one side gets done faster than the other. dh said he would feel unconfortable carving a turkey tom with pecks! LOL :)   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)