Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Over the river and through the woods....

...to Grandmother's house we go!

Hey, I'm sure most if not all of you have heard the song, right?  Anyway, let's make this a game!

I'm Grandmother, and you're invited to my house for a holiday dinner.  I'm serving turkey and ham, but everyone else has been asked to bring one of their favorite dishes to pass.  Don't forget appetizers, soups, desserts, or salads!

So, what would you bring?  One item per reply, please...and if you have a recipe to share, that would be GREAT!

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
August07Mom
by Tiesha on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Well, since pumpkin pies are covered I'll bring pecan pie!

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

UPDATED: with the amounts and better steps

Quoting jessicasmom1:

this is the one our family enjoys.

Ingredients

• 34 stick Unsalted Butter
  • 12 Swiss Cheese, grated   ( I used Mozzeralla we don't like swiss)
    1 small onion Diced 
  •  Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
  • 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
  • 12 cups Heavy Cream
  • 2 Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Cauliflower, cut into 1/4-in lengthwise slices
  • 4 slices Prosciutto, cut into thin strips or bacon
  • 4 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 12 cup Fresh Parsley

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Step 2
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add  garlic  sauté,  add onion , stir in the prosciutto and sauté 2 minutes .

Step 3

Add the cauliflower and cook just until it begins to lose its crispness, about 3-4 minutes more.

Step 4

Stir in the flour and then the cream. Blend well. Season with the cayenne and S&P to taste. Heat to boiling and immediately remove from heat.

Step 5

Pour the cauliflower into a shallow au gratin dish. Top with the cheese and parsley. Bake until the top is lightly browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes.

Step 6

Serve immediately.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Cauliflower casserole

Do you have this recipe posted in recipes? I'm making one tomorrow and I've been cruising recipes ... not found one that stands out yet.

queenbree545
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll bring spinach dip and veggie tray!
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Ingredients

1 small onion Diced 
  • 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
  • 12 cups Heavy Cream
  • 12 cup Fresh Parsley

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Step 2
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add  garlic  sauté,  add onion , stir in the prosciutto and sauté 2 minutes .

Step 3

Add the cauliflower and cook just until it begins to lose its crispness, about 3-4 minutes more.

Step 4

Stir in the flour and then the cream. Blend well. Season with the cayenne and S&P to taste. Heat to boiling and immediately remove from heat.

Step 5

Pour the cauliflower into a shallow au gratin dish. Top with the cheese and parsley. Bake until the top is lightly browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes.

Step 6

Serve immediately.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Cauliflower casserole

Do you have this recipe posted in recipes? I'm making one tomorrow and I've been cruising recipes ... not found one that stands out yet.

Thanks ... this is exactly what I was needing. I started to go with the cauliflower casserole that calls for baking mix but it just didn't say "I'm gonna be good!"

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM

your welcome :-)

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Ingredients

1 small onion Diced 
  • 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
  • 12 cups Heavy Cream
  • 12 cup Fresh Parsley

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Serve immediately.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Cauliflower casserole

Thanks ... this is exactly what I was needing. I started to go with the cauliflower casserole that calls for baking mix but it just didn't say "I'm gonna be good!"

adamsmom0116
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I'll bring asparagus casserole

2 lbs asparagus - steamed until bright green but not cooked, just a minute or 2

cheese sauce - whatever is your favorite kind - cheez whiz or velveeta with milk, or homemade

2 hard boiled eggs, chopped

1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed

Spread the asparagus in the bottom of a 9x13 glass dish. Top with cheese sauce, crackers, and eggs. Bake 20 minutes.

This works better with fresh asparagus as opposed to canned. The canned stuff gets too soggy.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Quoting jessicasmom1:

your welcome :-)

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Ingredients

1 small onion Diced 
  • 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
  • 12 cups Heavy Cream
  • 12 cup Fresh Parsley

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Serve immediately.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting jessicasmom1:

Cauliflower casserole

I should have asked before I made this (it turned out what I think is perfect for what I wanted). Is the measurement 2 cups flour? That is what I used because cauliflower gets watery as it steams & cooks. Now I'm just wondering if that was right. If I had used 2 tbsp it would have been creamier ... is that what it's suppose to be?

Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Oh no!  Don't ruin that marvelous asparagus with fake cheese!  This sounds great with real cheese.  :-) 

Quoting adamsmom0116:

cheese sauce - whatever is your favorite kind - cheez whiz or velveeta with milk, or homemade

Spread the asparagus in the bottom of a 9x13 glass dish. Top with cheese sauce, crackers, and eggs. Bake 20 minutes.

This works better with fresh asparagus as opposed to canned. The canned stuff gets too soggy.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

SaraCate
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

App - pear and bleu tarts

adamsmom0116
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I use a sauce of butter and flour, little bit of milk and extra sharp cheddar. Usually. I like to play around with the cheese sauce but the cheddar seems to go over the best.

Quoting Kelly913:

Oh no!  Don't ruin that marvelous asparagus with fake cheese!  This sounds great with real cheese.  :-) 

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN