Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have an upper limit?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM
  • 32 Replies

Is there a dollar figure you're not willing to go over for various categories of food?  I used to have a lot, but they mostly got blown out of the water a few years ago when we started eating whole, real, clean food.  I still have some lingering ideas of what's too much, like these satsuma oranges, but they are so tempting!

http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.net/?page_id=1287 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kelly913
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

They're making my mouth water!  I'm probably going to break down and get a case, especially when I remind myself that I pay more than this per pound for oganic berries.

MyGiftsFromGod
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Man, that sounds good! I'm going to have to think about that when I wake up. There used to be limits when money was tighter. We've always eaten the whole foods way, but it used to be only sale fruits and veggies, and I wouldn't pay more than a dollar a pound. It's been probably ten years since I've bought meat at a store, so I don't even know how much it costs these days. I think I had a limit of $2 a pound back then. I don't even know what we pay a pound now, from our meat packer. I just order as many pounds as we need and write the big, fat check when it's delivered. It's definitely worth it. When I pass by ground beef in a store it looks completely different to me, like red koolaid or something unnatural. Ours is nothing but pure beef, and it's a very rich and dark red, very different looking. Any way, what is lamb? $8 a pound? I don't know, but I'm willing to pay it. LOL. We just made two 4 pound lamb roasts the other night. It makes me happy to see all of my babies enjoying good food like that though. It just hit me. I wouldn't be willing to pay for lamb chops! Roasts are much less expensive and still taste wonderful, but feeding twelve people lamb chops (and I'll bet we'd eat at least four chops per person), that would cost as much as a weekend away! Oh, I don't really buy produce at Kroger because I swear it's twice the price of anywhere else for the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Quoting Kelly913:

They're making my mouth water!  I'm probably going to break down and get a case, especially when I remind myself that I pay more than this per pound for oganic berries.

They look like a thick peel to me. The orange inside may taste very good but I suspect it is going to be small.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My upper limit is a balanced budget & balanced nutrition. Take Thanksgiving for example. I'm not willing to spend so much on one meal that I cannot afford to feed my family the week before and/or the week after Thanksgiving.

This is also the time when my children are outgrowing their shoes & coming down with the sniffles. So no extras for exotic food wingdings.

Also I've never heard of buying produce by the case. Bushel/Basket/Peck and/or weight but not case.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Quoting DissieDothe:

My upper limit is a balanced budget & balanced nutrition. Take Thanksgiving for example. I'm not willing to spend so much on one meal that I cannot afford to feed my family the week before and/or the week after Thanksgiving.

This is me, too.  I don't have unlimited funds to work with, so I do what I can to feed my family of 5 that all have adult appetites on $100 or less a week.  We still eat all real foods and follow a nutrient dense diet, but I have to be a careful and conscientious shopper.  There's rarely room for extras.

lillucky8
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM
I am aware of what i usually pay for things so if its not a good price i skip it for the week. I am working on making out intake better so obviously my budget is changing because fresh is more expensive that a box of mac n cheese or whatnot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andrea96
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't really have a limit, but I don't see myself buying something like Kobe beef.

aenima49
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I've had to adjust mine since prices have gone up & deals aren't as good!

AdriaD
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure I do, but typically if I see a price I don't like, then I either sub something in or do without.

queenbree545
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't worry about spending, but I know when a price is outrageous and when it's not. I won't let the grocer rip me off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)