Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Do you have an upper limit?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is there a dollar figure you're not willing to go over for various categories of food?  I used to have a lot, but they mostly got blown out of the water a few years ago when we started eating whole, real, clean food.  I still have some lingering ideas of what's too much, like these satsuma oranges, but they are so tempting!

http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.net/?page_id=1287 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
jessicasmom1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I has been a few years since I have shopped for meats in the stores , I understand what Melanie is saying above about the redness of the meat sold in stores and the taste is just not there to compare to fresh. I do not have a limit on food but I tend not to spend much I shop seasonally so what fruit or vegetables are in season I buy and we eat, we never mind it a big range of fresh whole foods we are getting just different times of the year. Whole foods has been in our life since I became a young adult married a chef and still cook that way so I can enjoy it and DD is able to also.  I am health consicous with what we eat and make a sensable balanced  meals.

Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Yes, Satsuma mandarins are small, and the thick peel makes them easier to peel.  Their flavor is tremendous! 

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kelly913:

They're making my mouth water!  I'm probably going to break down and get a case, especially when I remind myself that I pay more than this per pound for oganic berries.

They look like a thick peel to me. The orange inside may taste very good but I suspect it is going to be small.

Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Case and weight are similar terms where I live.  We want to know the total weight and the cases (boxes) are packed such that the weight of those on top doesn't squich those on the bottom, and that each case is abot the same weight.

It might just be me, but I'm guessing most people here in my area wouldn't have a clue how much to expct in a bushel/basket/peck. 

We order produce by the case all the time.  20 pound box of pears, apples, peaches, nectarines...whatever is in season.

Quoting DissieDothe:

My upper limit is a balanced budget & balanced nutrition. Take Thanksgiving for example. I'm not willing to spend so much on one meal that I cannot afford to feed my family the week before and/or the week after Thanksgiving.

This is also the time when my children are outgrowing their shoes & coming down with the sniffles. So no extras for exotic food wingdings.

Also I've never heard of buying produce by the case. Bushel/Basket/Peck and/or weight but not case.

Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Could you share some examples?  I know in my "former" life I wouldn't spend more than a dollar for a loaf of bread.  Now I spend $4.29 for a smaller one so I can get what's good for us.  Chicken quarters could be had for under a dollar a pound and now I find myself willing to pay over $4/pound for pasture raised, non GMO fed chicken (whole bird).  Most produce I wouldn't pay over a dollar a pound and now $3 seems to be my upper range.  I don't shop much in the grocery store,s o not as aware of rising costs there, curious to read what you've seen. 

Quoting aenima49:

I've had to adjust mine since prices have gone up & deals aren't as good!

Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I just placed my order.  I showed ds the picture in the email I got and he said YES let's get them! 

Quoting MyGiftsFromGod:

Man, that sounds good! I'm going to have to think about that when I wake up. There used to be limits when money was tighter. We've always eaten the whole foods way, but it used to be only sale fruits and veggies, and I wouldn't pay more than a dollar a pound. It's been probably ten years since I've bought meat at a store, so I don't even know how much it costs these days. I think I had a limit of $2 a pound back then. I don't even know what we pay a pound now, from our meat packer. I just order as many pounds as we need and write the big, fat check when it's delivered. It's definitely worth it. When I pass by ground beef in a store it looks completely different to me, like red koolaid or something unnatural. Ours is nothing but pure beef, and it's a very rich and dark red, very different looking. Any way, what is lamb? $8 a pound? I don't know, but I'm willing to pay it. LOL. We just made two 4 pound lamb roasts the other night. It makes me happy to see all of my babies enjoying good food like that though. It just hit me. I wouldn't be willing to pay for lamb chops! Roasts are much less expensive and still taste wonderful, but feeding twelve people lamb chops (and I'll bet we'd eat at least four chops per person), that would cost as much as a weekend away! Oh, I don't really buy produce at Kroger because I swear it's twice the price of anywhere else for the same thing.

thecoffeefairy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM
I don't buy from an organic store. I cook from scratch but shop at target and SAMs. It's costly to feed a family of four,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Yeah. For me, its strange to put a price on nourishment.

Quoting queenbree545:

I don't worry about spending, but I know when a price is outrageous and when it's not. I won't let the grocer rip me off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM
It is sooooo much more expensive to buy organic. I mean "organic".

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I don't buy from an organic store. I cook from scratch but shop at target and SAMs. It's costly to feed a family of four,
Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM

That's a good way of wording it, but not everyone can spend what they'd like on healthy food.  Also, for me anyway, that doesn't mean I should pay any ol' price for good food.  I still feel it's my job to get the best food for the best price.  I think farmer's should get more of the money spent on food rather than so many middlemen, and that's one reason I buy directly from the farmer whenever I can.

What kind of options do you have where you live? 

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting queenbree545:

I don't worry about spending, but I know when a price is outrageous and when it's not. I won't let the grocer rip me off.

PortiaRose
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in a central valley, so fresh food is plenty. We have the farmers market, fresh n easy, whole foods, as well as a gambit of cheap grocery stores.

Farmers are totally underappreciated.

Quoting Kelly913:

That's a good way of wording it, but not everyone can spend what they'd like on healthy food.  Also, for me anyway, that doesn't mean I should pay any ol' price for good food.  I still feel it's my job to get the best food for the best price.  I think farmer's should get more of the money spent on food rather than so many middlemen, and that's one reason I buy directly from the farmer whenever I can.

What kind of options do you have where you live? 

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting queenbree545:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)