Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Do you have an upper limit?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is there a dollar figure you're not willing to go over for various categories of food?  I used to have a lot, but they mostly got blown out of the water a few years ago when we started eating whole, real, clean food.  I still have some lingering ideas of what's too much, like these satsuma oranges, but they are so tempting!

http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.net/?page_id=1287 

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
MyGiftsFromGod
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! I mentioned the look of the meat being different, but forgot to say anything about taste! You're right. Once, probably six years ago, I had to buy ground beef for chili for a party. I had run out of ours from the meat man, and was planning on chili, with no back up plan. I had to go buy it at the store. I love beef, and always nibble on some while I'm browning it for chili or whatever I'm making. I remember tasting it and thinking that it tastes nothing like the local beef we get from the meat man. It was so bland, with not quite a chemical flavor, but something was off like it was kind of fake. Really made me glad that we don't eat meat like that, and confirmed my feelings that better food is definitely worth the money. I realized that it isn't just any beef I love, but real, good beef! Do you know why the grocery store stuff tastes all different? I don't.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I has been a few years since I have shopped for meats in the stores , I understand what Melanie is saying above about the redness of the meat sold in stores and the taste is just not there to compare to fresh. I do not have a limit on food but I tend not to spend much I shop seasonally so what fruit or vegetables are in season I buy and we eat, we never mind it a big range of fresh whole foods we are getting just different times of the year. Whole foods has been in our life since I became a young adult married a chef and still cook that way so I can enjoy it and DD is able to also.  I am health consicous with what we eat and make a sensable balanced  meals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Satsuma: A popular mandarin for home gardens makes a very nice patio tree. Satsuma mandarins have a natural dwarfed growth habit. Fruit is easy to peel and is very sweet, juicy and seedless. Fruits: December-April. I am sure we ate these without knowing the name of them we eat plenty of oranges , cuties , mandarin.... and so on.

Quoting Kelly913:

Yes, Satsuma mandarins are small, and the thick peel makes them easier to peel.  Their flavor is tremendous! 

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kelly913:

They're making my mouth water!  I'm probably going to break down and get a case, especially when I remind myself that I pay more than this per pound for oganic berries.

They look like a thick peel to me. The orange inside may taste very good but I suspect it is going to be small.

jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

not just sure where the grocery stores by there meat from or what those  commercial animals eat , I know where my beef , chicken, and pork come from and I only buy grass fed meat from our local farmer. 

Quoting MyGiftsFromGod:

Yes! I mentioned the look of the meat being different, but forgot to say anything about taste! You're right. Once, probably six years ago, I had to buy ground beef for chili for a party. I had run out of ours from the meat man, and was planning on chili, with no back up plan. I had to go buy it at the store. I love beef, and always nibble on some while I'm browning it for chili or whatever I'm making. I remember tasting it and thinking that it tastes nothing like the local beef we get from the meat man. It was so bland, with not quite a chemical flavor, but something was off like it was kind of fake. Really made me glad that we don't eat meat like that, and confirmed my feelings that better food is definitely worth the money. I realized that it isn't just any beef I love, but real, good beef! Do you know why the grocery store stuff tastes all different? I don't.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I has been a few years since I have shopped for meats in the stores , I understand what Melanie is saying above about the redness of the meat sold in stores and the taste is just not there to compare to fresh. I do not have a limit on food but I tend not to spend much I shop seasonally so what fruit or vegetables are in season I buy and we eat, we never mind it a big range of fresh whole foods we are getting just different times of the year. Whole foods has been in our life since I became a young adult married a chef and still cook that way so I can enjoy it and DD is able to also.  I am health consicous with what we eat and make a sensable balanced  meals.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Agreed.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting DissieDothe:

My upper limit is a balanced budget & balanced nutrition. Take Thanksgiving for example. I'm not willing to spend so much on one meal that I cannot afford to feed my family the week before and/or the week after Thanksgiving.

This is me, too.  I don't have unlimited funds to work with, so I do what I can to feed my family of 5 that all have adult appetites on $100 or less a week.  We still eat all real foods and follow a nutrient dense diet, but I have to be a careful and conscientious shopper.  There's rarely room for extras.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aenima49
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I also spend quite a bit more on certain natural items, but for example, I wouldn't buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts for more than $1.69/lb.  Now I have to jump on them at $1.99 since that is generally the new rock bottom price for me.  I never used to pay for rice, frozen vegetables & lots of other staples.  Now between lower coupon values/fewer coupons, and less frequent sales with higher prices, the stars don't align as often.

I still get whole wheat, HFCS free/nautral bread for $2.50/loaf, but I could pay a lot more for other brands.

Quoting Kelly913:

Could you share some examples?  I know in my "former" life I wouldn't spend more than a dollar for a loaf of bread.  Now I spend $4.29 for a smaller one so I can get what's good for us.  Chicken quarters could be had for under a dollar a pound and now I find myself willing to pay over $4/pound for pasture raised, non GMO fed chicken (whole bird).  Most produce I wouldn't pay over a dollar a pound and now $3 seems to be my upper range.  I don't shop much in the grocery store,s o not as aware of rising costs there, curious to read what you've seen. 

Quoting aenima49:

I've had to adjust mine since prices have gone up & deals aren't as good!

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Quoting Kelly913:

Could you share some examples?  I know in my "former" life I wouldn't spend more than a dollar for a loaf of bread.  Now I spend $4.29 for a smaller one so I can get what's good for us.  Chicken quarters could be had for under a dollar a pound and now I find myself willing to pay over $4/pound for pasture raised, non GMO fed chicken (whole bird).  Most produce I wouldn't pay over a dollar a pound and now $3 seems to be my upper range.  I don't shop much in the grocery store,s o not as aware of rising costs there, curious to read what you've seen. 

Quoting aenima49:

Could you share some examples of how you adjusted your food budget? Going from a meager food budget to an extravagant one would be a financial crisis for most of us.

queenbree545
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think this post is about putting a price on nourishment. It's about being willing or not to pay any price for something you just want, not necessarily need.

I'm fortunate to have no need to limit my grocery funds, but not everyone has that luxury.   I think the ladies in this group that do have limited funds do a great job of providing nourishing food for their families.

Quoting PortiaRose:

Yeah. For me, its strange to put a price on nourishment.

Quoting queenbree545:

I don't worry about spending, but I know when a price is outrageous and when it's not. I won't let the grocer rip me off.

Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

We are blessed with no mortgage so that makes a big difference in overall financial picture.  We never really stuck to a grocery budget even when I wasn't willing to pay higher prices for better food.  There are several factors that have come in to play.  We stopped eating out.  Not completely, but where it used to be several times per week, it's now less than once a month.  I buy in bulk.  I buy from Azure Standard, who so far has the lowest proces on quality, clean food that I've found.  We raise our own beef, pork, eggs and dairy.  There are still costs involved, but considerably less than paying retail for the same thing.  The steer we raised was about $2.75 per pound for 100% grass fed, where the cheapest for grass fed ground beef (the cheapest cut available) around here is $4.99 a pound.  Pork is a minimum of $6.75 pound and ours cost less than $1.50.  Eggs sell for $4/dozen, it costs us about $1 dozen to raise our own hens.  Dairy-raw milk around here is usually $8-$10 gallon.  We can feed our goats and get milk for about $1 gallon.

However, during the time waiting for the steer to grow we paid BOTH.  Had to feed the steer and buy better quality meat.  We've moved to a larger piece of land in hopes of growing more feed and buying less to further reduce our costs.

Another factor is that eating real food fills you up and we end up eating less, therefore spending less.  I don't even track how much our groceries are lately though.

Quoting DissieDothe:

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting aenima49:

Could you share some examples of how you adjusted your food budget? Going from a meager food budget to an extravagant one would be a financial crisis for most of us.

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

MyGiftsFromGod
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Hey, I'm surprised you don't make your own bread. ;-)

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting aenima49:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM
I have adrenal fatigue. I'm surprised that I get out of bed in the morning!

Quoting MyGiftsFromGod:

Hey, I'm surprised you don't make your own bread. ;-)

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting aenima49:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN