Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

2 Turkeys

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am making two 12 +lb. turkeys for Thanksgiving. Anyone ever done this, & have tips/suggestions? I already checked to make sure 2 pans fit in my oven & the turkeys fit in the pans, lol! I'm just not sure how long they would need to cook.. 

.cornucopia

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM
That's a lot of turkey! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scapermom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Lol! Yes! I am feeding 20 people all over age 18 except 2, but they are all good eaters. In fact I've had parties with them before where I've run out of food & had to send my husband out for more! 

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I would say about 4.5 - 5 hours at 325°.

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the deal of cooking two in the oven, the heat. The heat will not circulate around the middle of the oven and cooking temp tends to get hotter around the sides of the oven. After cooking 1 hour, turn each pan around so the other side is next to the oven wall. Do this each hour and if your pans are covered, do not open them for this. At the end of cooking time and checking your turkey temp, return one turkey at a time to the oven and let it cook 30 min longer centered in the oven.

Signs that your turkey is not fully cooked - there is not enough turkey juice in the pan from the cooked turkey. Set your cooked turkey in the pan on a kitchen towel and then lift it off - if the towel is not hot, the bottom of the pan is not hot and the turkey is not done.

Many people cook a turkey & ham in the oven at the same time so it's okay to cook two turkeys too.

lillucky8
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM
I cook mine at 325, 20 min per lb. Ive done that in one day just to have for a regular dinner, i did one at a time because two wont fit in my oven, just plan wisely, the first may need some warming for dinner
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scapermom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Thanks all. I had read somewhere else about turning the pans every 15 minutes. But I though that was too often & would reduce the oven temp. Too much and take longer for the turkeys to cook. But it makes sense to turn them once an hour, so I'll try that. 

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Once an hour will be fine. It should take about 3 1/2 hours. Check with a thermometer to be sure. 170 degrees. FYI, if you do this again, it's much better to cook one large turkey. More meat. The bones don't keep growing, just more meat gets added as the turkey gets larger.

Quoting scapermom:

Thanks all. I had read somewhere else about turning the pans every 15 minutes. But I though that was too often & would reduce the oven temp. Too much and take longer for the turkeys to cook. But it makes sense to turn them once an hour, so I'll try that. 

4kidz916
by Melissa on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I've never cooked two at one time.  Good luck. 

jessicasmom1
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I cook mine to 165 degrees  and let sit at least 15 mintues before carving .. I do not care for turkey so much I only eat it once a year . .. if it would be dry I would not be able to touch it. So is this ok?

scapermom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM

They were done (175 degrees) by 3 hours! I didn't panic but took them out & let them sit, made the gravy & finished the rest of the meal, so everything was ready to be eaten when the guests started arriving. 

Ive made the big 24 lb turkey for several years in the past. These smaller turkeys were more manageable & we still have leftovers!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)