Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

I need an apple pie recipe!

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM
  • 5 Replies
The one I have is pretty good, but do any of you ladies have an apple pie recipe that you swear is the best? I'm on apple pie duty for thanksgiving at the in laws and I of course want to knock socks off!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Mom's Apple Pie - my mom gave me this recipe for her signature apple pie. I'm not supposed to share, but it's too good to keep to myself!

• 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 5 to 6 cups peeled, cored and sliced baking apples

Combine all ingredients and stir carefully. Put in an unbaked pie shell and dot with 2 Tbsp. butter cut into small pieces. Top with top crust, seal edges and cut slits in the top crust. Brush with milk and sprinkle with a bit of white sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Cover edges of the crust with foil if they begin to get too dark.

Crumb topped Apple Pie: Prepare as above but don't add the top crust. Instead, make a topping of 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. firm butter or margarine and 1/2 c. backed brown sugar mixed until crumbly. Cover pie with foil during last 10 minutes of baking.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I love almost every apple pie! Lol!

I do recommend America's Test Kitchen's vodka pie crust recipe though. It is by far the best crust you'll ever taste. It's so flaky it's unbelievable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aenima49
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I use the Joy of Cookiing's recipe that has you pre-cook the filling!

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Best tip for a good apple pie - roll the crust thin. A thick crust will sog and the sog is it drinking from your filling. I generally do a pinch edge and you can add a layer of dough around the edge if you want a fuller edge. You can also stuff the edge with cheese  or pecan filling - yummy!

lillucky8
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM
I use the one on the pillsbury dough box lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)