Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Are you going to be entertaining a vegetarian for Thanksgiving? What will they be eating?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM
  • 14 Replies

Thanksgiving Is for Vegetarians Whether Meat-Eaters Like It or Not

Posted by Jeanne Sager on November 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

thanksgiving tableThanksgiving is a holiday that seems to be all about the turkey. The little kids make turkey handprints in pre-school, and the adults debate roasting vs. deep-frying. My fellow Americans, I'm about to lay some Thanksgiving news on you that may shock you. Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday ... for vegetarians.

Gotcha, didn't I? 'Tis the season for people to moan quietly about how they have that one vegetarian cousin coming to town who will throw a kink in their meal plans. But the truth is there's no better time than Thanksgiving to be a vegetarian.

Think just for a moment about what you'll have on your holiday table. Yams? Mashed potatoes? Brussels sprouts, perhaps? Broccoli? I could continue to list the various vegetables that typically come out at Thanksgiving, but I think you get my point.

The holiday synonymous with gluttony is likewise a holiday when Americans tend to get a bit more adventuresome with their forays into the garden. Those meat and potatoes types who wouldn't normally touch a green vegetable with a 10-foot pole are all "pass the green beans, and keep 'em coming."

All of this does my heart good as a vegetarian who has heard the "X vegetable is gross" line more often than I can count, usually from people who refuse to try said veggie. But I'm going to take it a step further.

I love Thanksgiving because it's a good time for me. Next to July 4 (what can I say, I'm a summer baby), it might just be my favorite holiday if only because I can easily find enough foods on the table to sustain my hearty appetite. I don't have to make do with one or two sides that may or may not have bacon in them. I can fill right up on good food, and a variety of good foods at that. I don't even need a veggie-ducken!

In fact, if you've ever flirted with the idea of turning vegetarian, now might be just the time. No one is going to give you the stink-eye for loading your plate with the good stuff this week. 

Are you going to be entertaining a vegetarian for Thanksgiving? What will they be eating?

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, but the vegetable dishes that are put on many Thanksgiving tables are anything BUT healthy...they're loaded with sugar or salt or cream of mushroom soup, etc.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM
No, we won't have a vegetarian at our table this year. We will, however, have mushroom stuffing, green beans with sauteed mushrooms and bacon, broccoli, butternut squash, a layered salad, and fresh cranberry orange apple relish to go along with the turkey and desserts.
andrea96
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this

No, I am not, which is a good thing, since all of my veggie dishes will have bacon in them.

August07Mom
by Tiesha on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM

No, there aren't any vegetarians in our families.

mommaGof3
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I am a strict vegetarian. My kids and husband are as well and we will be celebrating Thanksgiving. The only animal product we eat occasionally is cheese. We are having stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes with vegan butter and soy milk, rolls, mac and cheese and we are discussing the possible tofurkey turkey.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaGof3
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
You can make your "cream of____" soups that are nothing like the canned stuff and about 100 times healthier for you. And just cause a turkey is eaten with Thanksgiving doesn't make it any healthier.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'm sorry, but the vegetable dishes that are put on many Thanksgiving tables are anything BUT healthy...they're loaded with sugar or salt or cream of mushroom soup, etc.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Agreed.  It works for many people, but not for me.

However, I was referring to the typical Thanksgiving dinner:  turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy (where's the nutrition in that?), sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows, green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions, canned cranberry sauce, etc. along with an equal amount of sweet desserts topped with Cool Whip.  It's a carb-heavy/processed food heavy dinner.  Veggie and fruit dishes without all of the extra sugar/salt/processed additions are a much healthier choice.  It's one of the reasons I will be having a t-day meal at my own home before heading to my mom's, where she's already told me that she is ignoring all of my dietary restrictions and serving the typical dinner.

Quoting mommaGof3:

You can make your "cream of____" soups that are nothing like the canned stuff and about 100 times healthier for you. And just cause a turkey is eaten with Thanksgiving doesn't make it any healthier.

Quoting michiganmom116:

DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

It should read: Are you going to be entertaining any vegetarians for Thanksgiving? What will they be bringing?

Vegetarians are the least likely people to show up with a covered dish for a family dinner. What does it take to boil up a box of Jell-o? And wth would you only invite one vegetarian? Why do they make a big fuss when the host does not serve turkey? What should they care if the host has a deer brisket instead?

aenima49
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Nope.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah...I don't think, "Mmm I'm gonna eat for my health this year," ever when it comes to thanksgiving. Lol!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN