Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

I alway forget something at the store for the holiday.  This time it was flour.  I only have about 1 cup of flour and my secret stash of butter????  It got used for some baking last weekend and I forgot to replenish.  So I am one of those people making a mad dash to the grocery store on Thanksgiving morning.

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Replies (11-18):
4kidz916
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I'd love to see that again too.  I live in a small town and we have a very small grocery store here that used to close on Thanksgiving but it closed for a few years and when it reopened the new owners are foreign and don't really observe the American holidays so they usually open for all of them. 

Quoting Kelly913:

I kinda wishthe only grocery store in my small town WOULD be closed so the employees can spend the day with their families.  There was a day when hardly anything was open on Thanksgiving or Christmas and people managed.  Just my personal wish that it would be that way again. 

Quoting adamsmom0116:

So far I think I'm good, but there's only 3 of us so it doesn't really matter anyway! But I live in a small town and the grocery stores are closed today. If I need something it's a 30 mile drive so it had better be something major if I'm driving that far for it!

aenima49
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I forgot to put out my mixed nuts!

WillTimsmom
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I was surprised my usual store was closed, as it's been open on past holidays.  The one store I found open was only open 6 am - Noon.  So I was grateful the employees would be able to go home early.  The employees were all laughing and having a good time so I wondered if  "something special" was being added to their coffee - LOL.

My mom was a nurse and I'm a lab tech, so it wasn't unusual for one or both of us to be working a holiday.  I guess I just assume that working a holiday is "normal".

Quoting Kelly913:

I kinda wishthe only grocery store in my small town WOULD be closed so the employees can spend the day with their families.  There was a day when hardly anything was open on Thanksgiving or Christmas and people managed.  Just my personal wish that it would be that way again. 

Quoting adamsmom0116:

So far I think I'm good, but there's only 3 of us so it doesn't really matter anyway! But I live in a small town and the grocery stores are closed today. If I need something it's a 30 mile drive so it had better be something major if I'm driving that far for it!

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Lol

Quoting DissieDothe:

shhhI give dh a list of near impossible to find ingredients just to get him from under foot for a while and most of the time he takes the kids with him. I think that he's grateful for the errand. If he does'nt find the stuff at our "go to" store, he does not go to other stores to find it ... He just blows it off and buys Power Bars! LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM
When I worked retail as a single mom I always worked holidays for the holiday pay...I was grateful for it. 'Sad' or not some people needing to pay their bills comes before sitting around eating.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I agree with this yet there seems to always be that 1 money hungry store open during the Holiday usually some people will try to work it for the extra chance to make more money for Holiday pay.. It is sad how society works now.  

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I always liked the idea of closing at noon. Then some people who want it can get a few extra hours but people can still go celebrate if they choose to.

Quoting WillTimsmom:

I was surprised my usual store was closed, as it's been open on past holidays.  The one store I found open was only open 6 am - Noon.  So I was grateful the employees would be able to go home early.  The employees were all laughing and having a good time so I wondered if  "something special" was being added to their coffee - LOL.

My mom was a nurse and I'm a lab tech, so it wasn't unusual for one or both of us to be working a holiday.  I guess I just assume that working a holiday is "normal".

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelly913
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM

My family was int he food industry all of my childhood and even up to about 6 years ago, so I know all about working on holidays.  I just think some places shouldn't have to.  Personal opinion. 

Quoting WillTimsmom:

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

MyGiftsFromGod
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM
I was down to 2 1/2 dozen eggs, so I had to scratch a couple of desserts, because that many eggs just doesn't cut it around here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)