Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Need some help! (ideas)

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have a family Christmas gathering this weekend.  My cousin, who is hosting, is going outside the box and doing a Mexican feast.  She will be preparing a taco bar, chips & salsa, beans, rice and guac.  We're all supposed to bring a dish to pass.  I'm sure a lot of the other family members will be doing a dessert, so I would like to do an appetizer or side dish, preferrably something that goes with the theme.

Any ideas?  Thanks, ladies!

Mommy to Alex...

A firefighter's wife...

And babysitter of many cops (AKA-911 Dispatcher)  :o)

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DissieDothe
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quesadillas is an appetizer. This chorizo & shrimp looks delicious and would fit right in with the guacamole.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chorizo-and-shrimp-quesadillas-with-smoky-guacamole-recipe/index.html

Kelly913
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Shrimp ceviche is delicious!  I love sopapillas for a Mexican dessert, but I don't think it'd be easy to do.  Need to be served hot and fresh from the fryer.  A loal restaurant makes a great bean dip, but I can't figure out what's in it.  It's served with  the usual chips and salsa, but also a cabbage slaw (no dressing) and it's GOOD!   A chicken enchilada casserole could be good.  We went to a Mexican themed potluck and there were about 7 and each tasted different but each was delicious!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:23 AM

For the appetizers: cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers, nacho dip, taquitos,

For the sides:  tomato & corn salad (diced tomatoes, thawed frozen corn kernels, diced green onion, bit of lime juice, salsa & sour cream mixed for a dressing), Spanish rice, and (maybe not so authentic but it's good!) macaroni & cheese with Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chilies) mixed in.

aenima49
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM

How about a bean salad?

rebeccan3
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM

How about some mexican rice??  Some pinto beans / refried beans?? 

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Mmm ceviche!

Quoting Kelly913:

Shrimp ceviche is delicious!  I love sopapillas for a Mexican dessert, but I don't think it'd be easy to do.  Need to be served hot and fresh from the fryer.  A loal restaurant makes a great bean dip, but I can't figure out what's in it.  It's served with  the usual chips and salsa, but also a cabbage slaw (no dressing) and it's GOOD!   A chicken enchilada casserole could be good.  We went to a Mexican themed potluck and there were about 7 and each tasted different but each was delicious!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Black Bean and Corn Salad

2 (15 ounce) cans rinsed & drained black beans
3 ears corn on the cob
3 -4 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 chopped red pepper
2 chopped and seeded tomatoes
3 minced jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
1 chopped purple onion, small
1 chopped peeled seeded avocado
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:
Cook corn in boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain and cool. Cup corn from cob.
Whisk together lime juice and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add corn, black beans, and remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and chill 2 hours.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/black-bean-and-corn-salad-spicy-mexican-salad-side-dish-375073?oc=linkback
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I agree stuffed jalapeno poppers , we like a taco dip that is old Ortega taco sauce( smooth and chunky) 2 cream cheese blocks blend together , top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions  serve with tortilla chips

Quoting michiganmom116:

For the sides:  tomato & corn salad (diced tomatoes, thawed frozen corn kernels, diced green onion, bit of lime juice, salsa & sour cream mixed for a dressing), Spanish rice, and (maybe not so authentic but it's good!) macaroni & cheese with Rotel (diced tomatoes & green chilies) mixed in.

Kelly913
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Have you made BACON wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapnos? 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Some Things Cookin' at my blog! 

SweetLuci
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

This is simple, and people love it.

FAMOUS RO*TEL CHEESE DIP

1 lb. pasteurized processed cheese spread, (Velveeta), cut into 1" cubes

1 can (10 oz.) Diced or Whole RO*TEL Tomatoes & Green Chilies

In a saucepan, combine ingredients; stir over low heat until cheese spread is melted.
Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, or vegetables.

Microwave: Place ingredients in a covered casserole.  Microwave on HIGH  until
cheese spread is melted, about 5 minutes, stirring once.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN