Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning Meal Planning

Your favorite inexpensive recipes?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 89 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, I've been lurking in this group and had yet to post :)

I am working on meal planning... it's taken me a few months but I'm getting the hang of it!

Currently I have a grocery budget of around $250 - little more/little less, just depening on income.

Anyway - I keep seeing all these moms who swear they feed a family of 4 or more on $200 a month... and I am determined to get as close to that as I can! There are 3 adults and 1 toddler in our family.

So, what are your favorite inexpensive recipes?

We've been doing a fair amount of chicken breast meals, but I'm realizing that it's about $3.50/meal just on the chicken to feed us for one meal, whereas ground beef is about $2.75, ground sausage about $1.75/meal. So if you have beef/sausage recipes that are cheap, I would especially appreciate those :)

(I do realize there are a whole lot of recipes posted in this group, however it would take me forever to browse through all 1300+ looking for something specific)

Thanks in advance!!

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernbelle07
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Sausage egg tacos! I realize that it is a breakfast food, but breakfast for dinner is great sometimes.
I usually cook the sausage, drain the fat, add eggs and once its all cooked, put them in a warm tortilla, add some cheese, or salsa or whatever you like. Love it! My family loves it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Melissa on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am on a tight budget too.   I usually include spaghetti, tacos, and meals like that in our menu to cut down on expenses.  I also try to plan meals around each other so that leftovers are utilized in another meal.  Example leftover chicken will go into stir fry or casseroles along with leftover veggies.   For me it's more about the planning than actually having cheap recipes. 

rmp
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM

My kids make tortillas for dinner one night they will make flour and the next night corn. The flours  for both are very cheap and they have fun making them. I make the food to go in them like:

pinto beans --$1.09 for a pound(cook in crock pot) then refry them, mexican rice-$01.09 a pound also , any chicken that is on sale ---$1.00 for chicken breast with ribs attached all you need is 2-3 pounds of that (season , cook in a crock pot and shred it) , cheese for quesadillas--2.99 a pound  , sour cream , guacamole, seasoned ground turkey with potatoes, you can make a lot of stuff to put in the tortillas and then roll them up and eat! Yummy

starlight1968
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I get a box of bisquick and make pancakes, waffels, and biscuits..biscuits and gravy w/sausage mixed in is a great meal too.

Ask you meat dept. when they mark down the meat and you can get some good deals then too.

crazycurls920
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM
We love rice and beans. Try some meatless meals. Banana muffins from scratch. I buy marked down meat and use coupons. I look at the sales at all area stores before shopping and writing a list.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
we always talk about "bad moms"what about "bad dads" ?
Yesterday at 1:57 PM
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM
we make home made pizza out of biscuits rolls..or cinnamon waffles out of cinnamon rolls stuff .or sandwich night.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You've got about $8 a day to spend for food.   A good chunk of that can be taken up with breakfasts and lunches, leaving little for dinners.

For breakfasts, skip cold cereal unless you're getting it for $1 a box.  Between the cereal and milk, cold cereal is a fairly expensive breakfast.  Oatmeal (buy store brand/generic) is much less expensive.  So are homemade pancakes (make a double batch when you have time -- they freeze and reheat very well.)  You don't always need syrup when making pancakes, either...spread with PB & jam or bananas, top with applesauce, you can even make an inexpensive syrup out of 2 c. brown sugar & 1 c. water boiled for a minute or two.  Eggs are another cheap breakfast if you make fried egg sandwiches, frittatas or egg casseroles.

Lunches can be leftovers or homemade soups, maybe even a baked potato topped with...well, just about anything you can find.

jessicasmom1
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I cook from scratch , only shop perimeter of stores . Sales are you friends, we do theme nights sort of like meatless Monday, or taco Tues but switch it up so you don't get tired of the same things. Buy whole chickens bake them and break them down for more than 1 meal like chicken tacos , chicken chili , chicken pot pie ... I am sure you get the idea . I also freezer cook .. bake or cook more than you need freeze the leftovers for another quick day.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I doubled this to feed my family of 7.  They loved it, even though most weren't a fan of Ramen:

Ramen noodle casserole:

• 1/2 lb. ground turkey or beef, browned.
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup,
  • 1/2 c. water,
  • 1/2 c. milk,
  • 1/4 c. diced onion,
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced,
  • 2 packages of broken ramen noodles
  • 1 beef seasoning packet from the noodles.
  • Sprinkle with a little soy sauce if desired
  • 4 oz. can of mushrooms if you want.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stir the noodles on top into the bottom, bake another 5 minutes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Porcupine Meatballs (I have to double the recipe for my large family)

Combine the first 7 ingredients with 1/4 c. of the tomato soup. Mix well. Shape into about 20 balls and place in a skillet. Mix rest of soup, water, and Worcestershire sauce and pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is soft and meatballs are set. Serve with sauce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)